• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old to hobby, new to this forum. From foothills of Rockies. CO

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started doing "Living History" in 1976. I had been a Pre Press supervisor for World Color Press in Effingham Il. Printers of Petersons Guns and Ammo and Shooting Times. Bought my first Muzzleloader in High School From the builder. Still have it.
When the American Bicentennial happened I had a Miroku,Tower Musket and IAB,Sharps Carbine as well as a Uberti 2nd. Mdl. Dragoon, cal 44. I visited Fort Des. Chartres, http://www.fortdechartres.us/ When one of the Marines picked up his tankard and drank next to a be-wigged Officer, I was hooked. I joined Ste. Annes Parroise Militia. I'm still a member of that organization. Lest you think the French never got to the rockies. Two "Cadet" sons of a prairie post traveled to present area of Sheridan WY in 1734 with Pawnees on Horseback. They didn't find the inland sea. They returned to a french post at present day Winnipeg, first horses on the Canadian prairie. Of course the next French and Indian War put the end to these wanderings. If the plains tribes had been trading with French traders the history of the region would have been dramatically changed. French colonial policy was to trade firearms. Not cheap ones but beautiful fusils. This weaned their customers of rapid fire bow and arrows and made them dependent on powder, lead, and gunsmithing.

Well may trails sense and I'm still doing Living History at Bent's Old Fort, Fort Uncomphadre, and El Rancho des Los Golandrinas near Sante Fe. NM.

My Homer Dangler built Plains Rifle
10409655_10203582886308676_4404764287364227726_n.jpg

This is an additional quote from Homer Dangler's web site re: American Longrifles Plain Vs. Fancy

"I feel the Kentucky rifle is a beautiful work of folk art, not to be compared to the fine European guns made for royalty, which were re-pleat with silver wire and precious stones.

I strongly hope that in the years to come the contemporary builders of the Kentucky rifle keep it true to form and not co-mingle too much with the ornate English designs. Very few Kentucky rifles had silver wire, and most had none."
10409655_10203582886388678_2001315940137685111_n.jpg

10409655_10203582886268675_4991807455951917960_n.jpg
10409655_10203582886348677_4371049818968959787_n.jpg

Nice! Clean lines and tasteful. And a super plus having Mr. Dangler's handiwork.
Yep and this rifle was on consignement at Track of the Wolf. but some of members of this forum desparaged it so I pulled sale. Mr. Getz did barrel cut and crown.

Attached is Provenance E-mail received from Homer Dangler himself in response to my inquiry as to the J.P. Beck Rifle which is withdrawn from consignment sale with Track of the Wolf.

James, the description sounds like one of my rifles in the white.
To do one with a 36" barrel I just cut the front off a 42" swaped barrel which left a little swamp.
I have a star punch I have used for may years punching 8 stars on the muzzle.
I sign the unfinished ( in the white) guns with my initials H+L+D in script letters and those I completed I sign H+L+Dangler in script.
I also do a wavy line with small cuts before and after my signature.

I am still building and I do it mostly in my winter home at Pine Island Fl just west of Ft. Dyers.
I suggest using 50 grains of FFFG black powder at 25 and 50 yards and 75 grains at 100 yards or for deer hunting and I asure you it will shoot better than you can hold.
The gun will last your lifetime trouble free.

Enjoy the rifle,
Homer

I purchased from Florida facebook friend who was financing his daughter's wedding. Homer's a snow bird that went to FL annually.

Considering sanding out the grooves that gentleman added. Have been told the less I do to it the better.
Bents Old Fort Placita Palavar 1 .jpg
Bents Old Fort Placita Palavar.jpg

This is one of the best Living History sites west of the Mississippi. Bent's Old Fort is a full scale restoration of the 1833 Fur trading post which is on the original foundations. and is real adobe construction with cottonwood vegas. Iron work is hand forged. Photo top is Dec. events plaza open to public. Bottom photo is friend and author Sam Piscotta in frock coat and brown flat hat. To his right is Don Erickson first person as Lt. Abere who's scetchs from 1846 were used in restoration counter clockwise are Vaquero's (Myself ) in sombrero and "Manga) and Greg Waltrip with braid and Taos style hat. Ed Dunken in frock and scots bonnet is trading room factor for Bent's St.Vraine. Note small swivel behind us next to robe press that's aimed at Fort's front gates.

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed your posts, like your rifle a lot and the photos are really nice. Always wanted to visit the fort. Thanks for joining us.

Back