• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

old t/c barrel, fresh out? make smoothie? trash it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got an old t/c barrel 15/16 .50, dark bore.
Really was just experimenting with browning on an old barrel,tuned out a real pretty chocolate brown,now I'm sorry I didn't start with a good barrel or fix this one prior to finishing it. What now? Can I bore this out to a smoothie if so how? And how big can I go? Any other ideas?

Have not shot it, don't have the rest of the gun. Got the barrel at an auction for 6 bucks complete with sights ,under rib etc.couldn't pass it for that! If I had any confidence in this barrel I'd like to get a pecatonica stock ,and maybe assemble the parts if I can find some reasonably.

if it doesn't shoot after you assemble yer gun just get another barrel. T/C barrels are still pretty common, easy to find, & usually not over pricey.

I like how you guys think either way I get a new gun and get to build it. I am curious as to how one bores a barrel to make a smoothie seems like it would require an awful long drill bit. How thin can the walls be etc.
I have seen a rifling bench in action but have not seen anyone rebore a three foot barrel.

IMO, drilling out a barrel at home is not a job for the meek.

In fact, it's not a job for the brave either unless they have the special drills required to do the job and the machine to drive them.

There are several people who do have the right equipment and have drilled out a number of barrels for our members for a fair price.
The price depends on the person doing the job but it is usually a lot less than the cost of a new barrel.

If they are going to rifle the drilled out barrel it will cost quite a lot more.

I would find a friend that had a TC Hawken to put your barrel on and shoot it first to see if it is accurate before doing any work on it at all. Might be pretty easy to come across a TC stock to put it in if it shoots good. Just a thought. Greg

you don't need a lathe you can fresh it out by yourself by hand. back in the day they did not have lathes they did it by hand.

Back