• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Sturbridge Village Firearms/Militia Exhibit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff.
It isn't too far from me. I haven't done a tour of the place in a very long time. I stop in the shop now and then. Bought some tinware and other things like that.
Might have to tour the place again soon.

I shod the light horses used for the carriage rides at OSV and both light and heavies at Mystic Seaport for many years. ( Same contractor for rides at both places ) What appears to be a gravel road around the village is actually a very sophisticated drainage system that rapidly removes water from the ”street” so the visitors aren’t sloshing through mud. The material used for the street comes from a bank located on the south end of the property. It is extremely abrasive. At Mystic Seaport plain Hi carbon steel, extra wide shoes lasted 6 to 7 weeks, and we’re in one piece when I removed them. At Sturbridge, the same extra wides which had additionally been coated at the toe and heels with tungsten carbide, would last 19 days. If I got there on day 20, I would be removing 2 pieces because the shoe was worn completely away at the toe.

Man, I bet that was fun! There's a museum at Luray Caverns in the great Shenandoah that has a few locally made rifles, but no displays of that caliber!

Thanks for posting those photos. Great pics. I am in Eastern MA and its been 30 years since I have been there. Need to get out there and check it out. I know they have really expanded over the years ,hearing from others that have gone recently. Now I am motivated and fall is a great time to go.

Same here, up on the Northshore, only an hour twenty for me down 495/290 and the Pike to get there, I should go more often, would like to go back and get some videos around Christmas, they light the place up nicely during the evening. Plus when your done just go across the road to BT's Smokehouse for some delicious ribs and brisket.

Thanks for posting these!! I had no idea they had guns.

OSV was one of the standard field trips when I was a kid. Probably did it 3-4 times growing up in and around Boston. I really need ot get back there with my kids and grandkids.

I still have some of the cheap souvenirs I bought back then.....pushing 50 years now.

I must of missed that whole exibit at Sturbridge Village in Mass. Was too busy eating the Ham and Pea Soup cooked over a wood fire as it was a cold and rainy day. Other great exibits with old stuff I have been to are the Cowboy Musem in Oklahma City, the Military Museum in OKC , The Pebody Musem in Salem Mass, the Kittery NAVAL Musem on the Portsmouth Naval shipyard. you need your CAC Card to get onbase. The have a Brass NAVY 44-40 Gattling gun and older Marine Muskets and such, I actually donated a reall cool 200 year old item they have in the glass display case. Colonial Wiliamsburg has a Great Working Museum and also old Yorktown in Jamestown VA where you can watch them fire Blanks with Matclocks. now that must have been interesting to hunt with. how do you sneek thru the wilds of the new world with a slow match burning? Does anyone know how to make these wood powder measures . Take NOTE! When he Fires the BLANK. He does NOT Point the gun at a People! that would just be stupid!
33313.JPG
33314.JPG
33316.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the great pictures, at my age I doubt that I will ever get to visit but I will sure be able to tell my grandson’s about it.

As @deermanok said, if you are in the area check it out, it is a good take. Almost all the trades are represented in working shops, tin maker, hooper, blacksmith, shoe maker, cabinetry, saw mill, grist mill, etc. They host a large Revolutionary War event each year, typically in August and have another smaller, 1820/30s militia muster once a year as well. I shot a little video footage, if I toss something together I'll put a link in the thread as well. Hope you enjoyed the photos
enjoyed it , yes it is a great place to go with the family. I go and participate in the 1830's militia muster. ALLEN ECKERT, who put the event on lets us have a period meal in the tavern. as said it doesn't get much better!

I was there about two weeks ago. Richard Colton was demonstrating making a fowler. He was very informative and his fowler was well constructed and light. The blacksmith was very good too! He was making box joint pliers and they were excellent.
the place is a time travel, back in to the 1820-1830's. it is a NEW ENGLAND TREASURE!!

Back