• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Stuff, What Do You Have?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a left hand Golcher caplock P1020914.JPG
A very early priming horn I still use P1020978 (1).JPG
A powder horn off the ship Charlotte from Bristol R I . She sailed from 1804-1805 as a slave ship . The Bristol historical society are researching the horn and suspect it may be the only horn associated with the slave trade . It shows snakes , the ship, masonic symbols the owners name P1020987.JPGP1020988.JPGP1030003.JPGP1020993.JPGP1030002.JPGP1030006.JPG and the worlds ugliest mermaid , these curved items are hard to photograph , the priming horn was with the powder horn .

This is my Henry Nock 14 ga shotgun which started out as a caplock , I am unsure of its exact age It has been in my family since new and at some stage in its life it has been converted to caplock .I used to sit on the back step and help my uncle cut wads . I shot my first rabbit with this gun when I was 4 P1020961.JPG
P1020933 (8).JPG

Plus a whole bunch of pistol and rifle powder flasks , a couple of shot flasks , various old canvas or linen ball and accessory bags , a small brass telescope of about 4 power which was found in a hollow tree with a brown Bess lots of different oil bottles and patent oilers and a few antique turn screws , nipple wrenches and rod end jags .

A bunch of Indian artifacts, Luristan bronzes from 1000 to 600 BC, and the attached wooly mammoth molar and piece of tusk dated to being over 40,000 years ago ( collected by a "swivel breech firearms student" in Northern Alaska)
DSC_0007.jpeg

I have a left hand Golcher caplockView attachment 111287
A very early priming horn I still use View attachment 111288
A powder horn off the ship Charlotte from Bristol R I . She sailed from 1804-1805 as a slave ship . The Bristol historical society are researching the horn and suspect it may be the only horn associated with the slave trade . It shows snakes , the ship, masonic symbols the owners name View attachment 111289View attachment 111290View attachment 111291View attachment 111292View attachment 111293View attachment 111294 and the worlds ugliest mermaid , these curved items are hard to photograph , the priming horn was with the powder horn .

This is my Henry Nock 14 ga shotgun which started out as a caplock , I am unsure of its exact age It has been in my family since new and at some stage in its life it has been converted to caplock .I used to sit on the back step and help my uncle cut wads . I shot my first rabbit with this gun when I was 4 View attachment 111297
View attachment 111299
Plus a whole bunch of pistol and rifle powder flasks , a couple of shot flasks , various old canvas or linen ball and accessory bags , a small brass telescope of about 4 power which was found in a hollow tree with a brown Bess lots of different oil bottles and patent oilers and a few antique turn screws , nipple wrenches and rod end jags .

That is an interesting horn.

I have a left hand Golcher caplockView attachment 111287
A very early priming horn I still use View attachment 111288
A powder horn off the ship Charlotte from Bristol R I . She sailed from 1804-1805 as a slave ship . The Bristol historical society are researching the horn and suspect it may be the only horn associated with the slave trade . It shows snakes , the ship, masonic symbols the owners name View attachment 111289View attachment 111290View attachment 111291View attachment 111292View attachment 111293View attachment 111294 and the worlds ugliest mermaid , these curved items are hard to photograph , the priming horn was with the powder horn .

This is my Henry Nock 14 ga shotgun which started out as a caplock , I am unsure of its exact age It has been in my family since new and at some stage in its life it has been converted to caplock .I used to sit on the back step and help my uncle cut wads . I shot my first rabbit with this gun when I was 4 View attachment 111297
View attachment 111299
WOW, ties to BRISTOL, RI. I live in RI. and am rely honored to the fact that it survived after all of them years & the history of it. just an historic & great item.

WOW, ties to BRISTOL, RI. I live in RI. and am rely honored to the fact that it survived after all of them years & the history of it. just an historic & great item.
I am working with the Bristol Historical & preservation Society to get this all sorted . The Charlotte didn't last too long but Griffis whos horn this was may have signed on to a whaling ship , I got it in a box of junk from a guy who's family had lived in The Bay Of Islands in the north of the North Island of New Zealand , this place was a port of call for American whaling ships and became called the hell hole of the Pacific .The ship Griffis was on could easily called in , and he sold the horn for rum or somesuch . Still to be figured out .

I am working with the Bristol Historical & preservation Society to get this all sorted . The Charlotte didn't last too long but Griffis whos horn this was may have signed on to a whaling ship , I got it in a box of junk from a guy who's family had lived in The Bay Of Islands in the north of the North Island of New Zealand , this place was a port of call for American whaling ships and became called the hell hole of the Pacific .The ship Griffis was on could easily called in , and he sold the horn for rum or somesuch . Still to be figured out .
thanke's for letting me know how it got to NZ, from RHODE ISLAND? WOW that sure is a fair amount of distance!

My oldest firearm is an 1873 trapdoor Springfield 45-70 along with the bayonet for it. I've got a few arrowheads that my maternal grandfather found. He had a massive collection of arrowheads, stone axe heads, and other Native American hand tools, but they were all stolen, along with a wooden coaster wagon with iron wheels that he made. I'm still ****** about that!

Early Man tools. Celts, spear points, grooved bear canine. Earliest guns are percussion. Two o/u rifle/shotguns. Some percussion rifles and shotguns. Oldest family gun is my grandfather's 1887 lever 12 gauge. Wimmin call our treasures "stuff", theirs are "things".

Weirdest old "thing" I have is the family powder wedge, loaded with BP, used to split logs. My bassett hound, Roscoe, is old.

Some teenage marriages last, some don't, I think my first wife (high school girlfriend) got too big for her britches, she sure had a tough time keeping them on when she got away from the house while I was on evening and midnight shifts.
Must be your first wife and my first wife(high school girlfriend) got their training at the same place. She said yes more often to other guys than me.

I saw this post and got to thinking what was the oldest thing I have? I have a couple of celts ,stone axe and scraper, some arrow heads from a farm a half mile away. My oldest firearm is a Wurfflein rifle made by John Wurfflein about 1850. It is a full stock which I was told are very uncommon. I had it re-bored to 50 as the 45 cal bore was rusted and full of scale. The hammer was re-welded ,(very ugly), and I replaced it, as was the stock, which was broken. Lee Shaver did the work which is beautifully done. Shoots well and the set triggers are the finest I've ever seen. They were made by the maker from some research I did. Next would be an original 3 band Enfield ,1853, from Afganistan, but British proofed and marked. Got it from a Vet who brought it back.

My youngest son in the AF in Germany went metal-detecting with his father-in-law outside a small German town. FIL had been researching a particular battle between Napoleon's troops and the local German town defenders. After studying the terrain, FIL started sweeping, and found a bunch of musket balls scattered all over the area. The round balls could have been from Napoleon's troops or from the Germans. They also found remnants of Allied incendiary devices from WW2. They gave me some of both when I visited. Those are my oldest treasures of interest.

Back