• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old South Firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking like there may be a chance we could be relocating to the Birmingham, AL area in the near future.

Anybody here have any feedback for Old South Firearms out of Argo, AL either in-store or online? Looks like a good potential local vendor for supplies and powder if we do make the move.
http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com

Thanks in advance! :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
Old South is great to deal with.......and there's also a Bass Pro in Leeds (close to B'ham) that has a pretty decent BP selection along with real BP .......Bass Pro is quite expensive though.

Also a Field & Stream store in Hoover/Pelham that likely has a good BP dept. but i've never visited that store......supposedly the most expensive in the state.

Thanks guys! Looking at houses in Hoover currently. Still waiting to see what shakes out but pretty decent chance will be there by the end of the year.

aaaaaargh!

yet another siren song ”¦ and yet I continue to waste money on stupid junk like groceries and gas for the car and the boring electric bill

dsayer said:
MSW said:
aaaaaargh!

yet another siren song ”¦ and yet I continue to waste money on stupid junk like groceries and gas for the car and the boring electric bill

:confused:

He means he wishes he could move....

No amount of money could get me to move that far south....I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable.

Ah, I see. I did not follow... :doh:

Well, the way I see it is better to be employed in Alabama than homeless in Colorado. My training is too specialized to be super picky at this early stage of my career.

if you end up in Hoover you'll not only have a great selection of outdoor stores to choose from, you'll be an hour or less from the Talladega C.M.P. shooting range, and in the same county as 2 Civil War re-enactor groups........45 minutes from the Tannehill and Janney Confederate Iron Furnaces (Tannehill is also a State Park) AND in an "open carry" state to boot (where the Police don't freak out over a handgun worn openly on a hip)

Plus, right in the middle of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail if you so imbibe.......

Redstick Lee said:
AND in an "open carry" state to boot (where the Police don't freak out over a handgun worn openly on a hip)

You can open carry a pistol on your hip in public, but you have to have a concealed carry permit to 'open carry' inside a vehicle.

Major Dorman said:
Redstick Lee said:
AND in an "open carry" state to boot (where the Police don't freak out over a handgun worn openly on a hip)

You can open carry a pistol on your hip in public, but you have to have a concealed carry permit to 'open carry' inside a vehicle.

unless it's on your dashboard......

the CC permits are still, and always will be huge cash cows for the Counties.....but that's just how it is.
sorry to have gone :eek:ff

Redstick Lee said:
if you end up in Hoover you'll not only have a great selection of outdoor stores to choose from, you'll be an hour or less from the Talladega C.M.P. shooting range, and in the same county as 2 Civil War re-enactor groups........45 minutes from the Tannehill and Janney Confederate Iron Furnaces (Tannehill is also a State Park) AND in an "open carry" state to boot (where the Police don't freak out over a handgun worn openly on a hip)

Plus, right in the middle of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail if you so imbibe.......

Thanks for the info!!

CO Elkeater said:
dsayer said:
Well, the way I see it is better to be employed in Alabama than homeless in Colorado. My training is too specialized to be super picky at this early stage of my career.

On the bright side; you'll be out of Denver!
Hahaha! I kinda like Denver to be honest (except the traffic).

Old South has a lot of stuff and a really big selection of Traditions guns and kits, some I have never seen before. They have lots of supplies but no black powder, only subs. It's a nice place.

Hoover has always been a upscale little town. In recent years there has been things happening in Hoover that was unheard of just 15-20 years ago. Things like robberies and shootings, that kind of stuff.

My advice to someone moving to the Birmingham area. If you can commute....... do so.

Get out 30 miles or less and you can buy a rural home with land and live the country life..... chickens... live stock if you wish..... shooting your gun.....rural towns ..... rural schools.
A nice house with land in the country is a lot less than a upscale home on a small lot in Hoover.

Thanks for the info on the store as well as Hoover. Should be getting some more info on the potential move in the coming weeks.

Bummer about no BP at the store. Was hoping for a local source to avoid the hazmat fees...

Bass Pro in Leeds (what? 20 miles away) stocks real BP but it's GOEX only.

Also.....BP can usually be bought at the CW re-enactment camps......but it's a little pricey.

54ball is absolutely right about living in the country and having a short commute as opposed to living in town.

Thanks for the heads up about Bass Pro. The one in Denver hasn't had Goex in stock since late last year.

The guy at gun counter said they went out of business... :bull:

Back