• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Sacramento

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4198

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Old Sacramento
The cannon fired at Hickory Point, Jefferson county has a very interesting history. It was captured, along with several other cannons in the Mexican war of 1847. Col. Doniphan and his American troops captured it at the battle of Sacramento near Chihuahua, Mexico. It was brought to Missouri via the Gulf of Mexico, the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. Some of the cannons were stored in Liberty, Missouri, the home of Col. Doniphan. When war between pro slavery and anti slavery forces from Missouri and Kansas started, some Missouri Border Ruffians raided the storage, removing some rifles and the cannon Old Sacramento. The Border Ruffians had established several forts around Lawrence, Kansas , that hot bed of Abolitionist, in order to try to cut off supplies to the City. The three forts were Saunders, Franklin and Titus. The Ruffians installed Old Sacramento at Fort Franklin. On August 12, 1856 Fort Franklin was the first to feel the wrath Jim Lane and his anti slavery militia. After a 3 hour battle the ruffians fled the fort when a fire was started. The cannon they left behind,

Here is a picture of "Old Sacramento" during its glory days in 1856. Looks like about a 4 pounder.

4batt1856b.jpg

threepdr, that is a better picture of Old Sacramento then I have, thanks for posting it. Last Friday I was privileged to participate in the reenactment of the Battle of Hickory Point, at Oskalossa, Kansas. Afraid my little 1" bore BP cannon was a poor substitute for Old Sacramento. I think the 300 or so school kids and adults that attended, were duly impressed with the noise, smoke and stink, from the little cannon. h4198

Back