• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

old powderhorn, not an antique (or is it?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This powderhorn was made by my father in 1922. He was born in 1912. The story he told was that he bought it at the Chicago stockyards for a nickle while on a field trip as a Boy Scout. He scraped it smooth with his pocketknife and did the engraving/scrimshaw with a sharpened nail. The darkening was with India ink. It has never been used to hold black powder.
At the least, interesting.
MarioFuscopowderhorn1.jpg

MarioFuscopowderhorn2.jpg

Automobiles are required to be at least 25 years old to be licensed as antiques (historical vehicle )in Ohio. Furniture is usually considered antiques at 75 years old.I know of no standard on powder horns for antiques. But it definately qualifies as a family heirloom.And one you can be proud of and doubly proud to pass it on to future generations of your family. Myself I have horns that I made for by grandson (hope to have more ) that I hope he (they? ) will treasure. :idunno:

as a boy scout(1944) ,I got a horn at a slaughter house, and made a blowing horn. I think it was an idea left over from the Dan Beard days.his Buckskin bood for buckskin men and boys..using only hand tools, and a hand bit, it was a lot more work than any other horn I've done. Hank treasure your dad's work

Back