• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Muzzleloader Identification Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salmonslayer

Pilgrim
Reaction score
59458245-0712-4E28-99A7-7B42C6DE29E9.jpeg
59458245-0712-4E28-99A7-7B42C6DE29E9.jpeg
Hello from Washington State! I inherited an old muzzleloader from my father that is obviously not in good shape but appears to be very old. I was wondering if anyone can identify the gun maker with this partial name and any history and possible manufacturing date would be awesome!

Rock Island Auction people are good authorities--might be willing
to look at a complete set of photos for you and guide you.
In its shape, it is an interesting wall hanger. possible forum gurus might
solve identity too.

Welcome to the forum! We have alot of great and helpful members here, maybe someone can help. If only that old rifle could talk and give it's history!

The picture of the lock plate does not help identify your rifle. It appears to be a Goulcher/Golcher commercial lock purchased at the hardware store by the gunmaker. We need to see good pictures of the rifle itself, so we can see the stock profile, cheekpiece, lock bolt washer, shaping around rear pipe, and other details that better identify the maker's hand. It would greatly help if you could post the three "standard" views of your rifle normally used of identification purposes:

1. half-length view of front side, showing complete butt out to about 6" past lock plate,
2. half-length view of back side, showing complete butt out to about 6" past where lock is on other side,
3. full length view of front side of gun.

All pictures should be taken as directly over the gun, i.e., perpendicular to the rifle, as possible, avoiding angled views that distort dimensions and make one end harder to see than the other. Also, pictures should be in good light, so details are not hidden in dark areas or shadows.

It is important to check for any signature or initials on the top barrel flat several inches behind the rear sight, where most gunmakers signed their work. If anything is there, please take a clear picture of it, since it greatly helps identify the maker. Hope this gets you started on identifying your family rifle.

Shelby Gallien

Last edited:
The picture of the lock plate does not help identify your rifle. It appears to be a Goulcher/Golcher commercial lock purchased at the hardware store by the gunmaker. We need to see good pictures of the rifle itself, so we can see the stock profile, cheekpiece, lock bolt washer, shaping around rear pipe, and other details that better identify the maker's hand. It would greatly help if you could post the three "standard" views of your rifle normally used of identification purposes:

1. half-length view of front side, showing complete butt out to about 6" past lock plate,
2. half-length view of back side, showing complete butt out to about 6" past where lock is on other side,

All pictures should be taker as directly over the gun, i.e., perpendicular to the rifle, as possible, avoiding angled views that distort dimensions and make one end harder to see than the other. Also pictures should be in good light, so details are not hidden in dark areas or shadows.

It is important to check for any signature or initials on the top barrel flat several inches behind the rear sight, where most gunmakers signed their work. If anything is there, please take a clear picture of it, since it greatly helps identify the maker. Hope this gets you started on identifying your family rifle.

Shelby Gallien
Yours is a very good reply to the OP's question .well done.
John

All pictures should be taker as directly over the gun, i.e., perpendicular to the rifle, as possible, avoiding angled views that distort dimensions and make one end harder to see than the other. Also pictures should be in good light, so details are not hidden in dark areas or shadows.

Shelby Gallien

Good info, Shelby. I'd also recommend a few out-of-the-shadows pics of the left end of the lock plate to see if the Golcher guinea hens are present.
I have a H. Deringer rifle and a yet-to-be-identified rifle, both with Golcher lock plates. I'm tight on time but if you check my comments you should find some pics. Good luck to all.

Latest posts

Back