• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old longrifle identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an old LC Smith SXS some years ago that I was fond of. It was a 10 bore with 32" barrels and weighed 12lbs. The wrist was repaired with tightly wrapped antique duck decoy cord with a layer of tar dabbed over the cord. I left it the way it was, outstanding piece of American water fowling history. All I did was oil the Damascus barrels inside and out and put a coat of dark brown Bri Wax on the stock. Wish I still had it hanging on the wall. So, think about that before you do anything. :thumb:

Just my 2 cents worth....Since you've identified the gunsmith and with that, an time range of when he worked suggest to me the rifle likely started out as a flintlock. However, I think the percussion lock is a replacement since I see no signs of a conversion of the lock. I personally would seek a professional restorer for advice. Jim Parker in Warrior, AL with Calvary Longrifles is a super nice guy and may be able to give you some advice or at least point you in the right direction. A search for Jim should give you contact info as I know he has a website. You have a super nice find and it's definitely worth saving.

Back