Old Longrifle finally gets a deer

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

okawbow

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I built a 45 cal. Longrifle 45 years ago. I only hunted once with it in all that time and never killed a deer with it. I built a nice .54 flintlock soon after this rifle, and have used it for most of 44 years.

I got the old rifle out a few weeks ago and worked out a load of 70 grains Old Eynsford and a .440 roundball with .017” denim patch, lube with bear oil.

I hunted with the rifle for the Illinois muzzleloader season without getting a shot. However, the county my hunting property is at, has a bonus late winter season this year. Any unused permit is good. I had loaded the gun in early December and left it loaded until I shot on the 26th. Went off perfectly.

The deer was about 50 yards. At the shot, it ran hard for another 50 and fell on a gravel drive. No dragging required! The ball destroyed both lungs and stopped against the hide on the offside shoulder. It flattened to over .650”.

Attachments

Treestalker

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, Okawbow! Great hunt! That's the same load I used in my first ML rifle, a .45 CVA kit I built. But I used a pillow ticking patch with Crisco. Didn't kill a deer with it but shot a wagonload of squirrels and other small game. Also I won a 4th place ribbon in a 75 yd. bench rest shoot up against some good competition. I believe a .45 is a beautiful all around caliber, but here in Rackensack you can't use it on small game, go figure.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats, I hope it doesn't take 45 years for the next one!

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Glad your old gun finally got to do what it's always wanted to do.

Latest posts