old longhunter

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by -, Sep 25, 2005.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1

The persona is coming together and I believe quite nicely. I don't remember if I posted it before but here's who I am......uh...am gonna pretend to be: A late middle-aged longhunter who followed Boone to Missouri in about 1804. As with Boone I got tired of what was happening in Kentucky and pointed my nose west, bringing the family along. After hearing good things from Boone by word of mouth it seemed the best thing to do. I followed Boones tracks up the Missouri until I came to the Meramec River then followed it almost to it's headwaters. I always preferred the hills to the more rolling country so I found a little valley and followed it almost to it's head, moved about 2/3rd's of the way up the ridge and built my cabin on a bench I found there, (it's actually where I live). News was pretty exciting here when the Captains Clark and Lewis left St. Louis over a year ago. Everyone is waiting on and hoping for their safe return. We're all excited to hear what news and information they bring back from the Shining Mountains. Lots of folks are considering heading farther west once a report is received. Not me tho......I've had enough adventures to last me a life time. The Osage, Sac & Fox and the Shawnee, who moved to an area southeast of here, are enough for me to deal with. I get along with them fine and we often visit each others camps and trade, reminisce and hunt together but I don't want any part of the Soo or Shianne....too old fer that. I am enjoying hunting and trapping without wondering if I'm going to stay alive. There aren't the buffalo here that there was in Kentucky, in fact, not any at all down here in these hills. But there are plenty of deer, bear, turkey and small game and trapping is just as good, if not better, as it used to be in Kentucky. I believe I'll be content to live out the days the Lord has left to me right here.

I haven't decided on a name yet but being of German extraction I know it will have German as it's root. Clothing is all together except for my mocassins which I started today. I have a sister who is a school teacher and she's invited me to give a little program for the elementary school she teaches at. I'm looking forward to that.

Reading the persona's has been interesting.

Vic

2. Oct 2, 2005 #2

Bob J

Bob J

Bob J

62 Cal.

That's a very interesting persona :imo: Its great to here of someone knowledgeable and passionate about American history taking the time to bring it to school kids in a fun,interesting way :front: Keep us posted as to how the program goes at the school. I'm sure it will be fun. :hatsoff:

3. Oct 3, 2005 #3

gordy

gordy

gordy

50 Cal.

Sounds like You picked a winner!Do keep us posted on your progress with Your Persona,and the reaction of the children.Your takeing time to bring history into Their lives may perk Their interest for years to come.They will remember Your visit,more than all the text books and photos prensented in school.Good Luck. :front: :peace:

4. Oct 18, 2005 #4

Boonetract

Boonetract

Boonetract

40 Cal.

Nice and simple. It will be easy to maintain as you get older still. Great idea obout the German sur name. Post lots of pics when you get them.

5. Oct 21, 2005 #5

Dixie, gordy and Bob...thanks for the kind words. I've really enjoyed this. The program at school was yesterday and I thought it went quite well, even if the kids were K-2nd grade. After I got home last night my sister called to tell me she canvassed the boys and I was the hands down favorite.....who would expect less from the boys. At that age I would have been my favorite! Many of the little girls were more than active participants and several of the teachers were quite interested. My wife made up some simple business cards with name, phone number and a very brief who, where, when and what the persona is about and most of the teachers and the principal took a card without my asking them to. I just had them laying on the corner of one of the tables.

My sister had asked me to throw a hawk and that was the only thing that got nixed. The Superintendant told her "there will be no throwing of tomahawks", I thought that was rather amusing. A rifle is fine but don't throw a tomahawk. The rifle had lots of admirers...especially the principal. I went to school with his Mom and Dad so he knew who I was and that he and I had a lot in common. His Dad and Uncle are both big hunters and fishermen.

I've chosen a name and played on history a bit in doing so. Michael Stoner was a friend of Boones and a German so I changed the spelling of the last name to a more Teutonic Stohner and picked a first name of Johann. That was almost too easy as there was a family of Stohners where I grew up. Johann Stohner.....I thought that appropriate.

I also learned that Boonesfield Village, where the Nathan Boone home is, is always seeking period volunteers from 1804 Missouri. It's located a little over an hour from me north of Washington, Missouri. I contacted the lady in charge and my wife, my cousin and his wife and I are going there Saturday when I'm supposed to meet with her. It sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to that also.

I'm pleased with the way the program went and especially it's reception by all who were there. This is gonna be fun. Several of the teachers took pictures and I asked my sister to try to acquire a couple for me. I don't know how to post them but I'll try to learn or have it done. Hope I didn't bore anyone with such a long post.

Vic

6. Oct 22, 2005 #6

Bob J

Bob J

Bob J

62 Cal.

Glad it went so well at the school. It's a wonderful thing you're doing, making history come alive for the kids (and adults too!). :RO: :hatsoff:

7. Oct 23, 2005 #7

gordy

gordy

gordy

50 Cal.

Don't worry that Your post is too long.I enjoyed reading about the outcome,and the fact that You will be getting more information to share from Your future relationship with Boonesfield Village.Looking forward to another chapter in Your voyage through History. :thanks: :front:

8. Oct 23, 2005 #8

Spent about 4 hours at the Boone Home and Boonesview Village yesterday. I knew I would enjoy it but the wife, my cousin and his wife really enjoyed it too. That made it even better. It was a good tour, beautiful setting, almost as historically accurate as they could make it, I think, and was a wonderful feeling to stand in some of the same places Boone and many, many of his contemporaries stood. If you're ever in that part of the country I'd highly recommend it. It's definitely worth the $12.00 admission fee. Much of the tour guides script was old hat to me but the info on the house and local history was new and enjoyable. Most of the rest of the folks in our tour group were fascinated.

One of those hours was spent with Pam Jensen, the manager, and she sent home with me 5....uhhhh....I guess I'll call them scripts. They don't have to be memorized but they do want them historically accurate and in order with the tour. Pam told me the place used to have a very bad reputation for not being historically accurate and they were doing their best to correct that reputation. I got the impression they have done an admirable job were continuuing to do just that.

My first.....shall I call it "duty"....is at the Candelight Tour they have the first two weekends of December. I'm only working the second weekend but am looking forward to it.

I do carry on so...huh.....hehe.

Vic

9. Oct 24, 2005 #9

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Please keep this thread related to the Persona posted above.

10. Nov 5, 2005 #10

Ok...am I to understand that what I do publicly with the persona, how I got there with it or a wonderful historic site which the persona draws from and is definitely a part of it, are none related to the persona? Then what, pray tell, is related to the persona?

Vic

11. Nov 5, 2005 #11

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

I'll try to clarify the purpose of this forum.

The purpose of this forum is to tell us the story behind your persona, not the places you visit, how much it cost to get in, who you spoke to or a description of current historical parks or events.

Like the subtitle for this forum says, "Who are you? Tell us your story."

Hopefully, it would be limited to the story of your persona, not your current travels or treks. We have other forums for that purpose.

12. Nov 5, 2005 #12

Very well....it won't happen again I assure you. I thought I was passing on information related to the persona the fella's were interested in.

Vic

13. Jan 4, 2006 #13

howdydoit

howdydoit

howdydoit

45 Cal.

Very interesting and I love the detail. Keep up the good work :hatsoff:

14. Jan 6, 2006 #14

Hey YOU old long hunter
    I really enjoyed this nice touch taking it to the kids... Thanks for the most enjoyable story, my best regards Loyalistdawg :hatsoff:

15. Jan 18, 2006 #15

Loyalist, howdy....thanks for the kind words. I have added some details and the entire thing has expanded but I'm concerned I shouldn't post it after my "warning".

Vic

16. Jan 30, 2006 #16

Bullmoose

Bullmoose

Bullmoose

40 Cal.

POST IT!!!!!
    I'm ready to read it.

I enjoyed your persona and want more information on Boonesville and the 5 scripts you got.
    WHY???
    because my persona covers me working with the Boone boys at BOONE'S LICK. Making salt. I too am German desent, and I too came to Mo. in the same area. Maybe I can touch a lttle of your travels and meet up with another German (YOU) within my persona too