• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Old Guys vs Young Guys 2011, ends July 31st

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shooting in this contest was fun, but not nearly as fun as reading all of the ribbing we've been giving each other. As always, thanks to Jethro and Swampy for refereein'! :hatsoff:

Thanks to Jethro and Swampy for doing the work, and to everyone else for participating. I'll be doing more of these when they come up. And for you top shooters on both sides, thanks for giving me a goal to work towards.

Old Geezers, thanks for passing on the wisdom y'all had to learn in your younger days while trying to keep your scalps barefoot in the snow and uphill both ways. :bow: I know I wouldn't have shot nearly as well as I did if it hadn't been for y'alls help. Not that there's not many of us young pups that know a lot of things I'm still trying to learn--appreciate you too.

Good shooting EVERYONE...! :thumbsup:

Glad we all got "together" and had a good time. :hatsoff:

Well we learned that over all the young wipersnappers have what it takes! And the old geezers are full of hot air! :rotf:

However, if it was between the best shot from each team ... Well ... There is one geezer that knows how too shoot very good!

OK, since this was so fun, you all need to join in the fun of the next two opportunities for FUN! :grin:

Jethro,
Looks like the young pups are coming on strong and that's good. Hopefully it's because they have listened to s few of us old farts. Butttt, if you take the first 15 old farts and put them up against the 15 young pups, we beat them by .357. Pretty close shooting no matter how it adds up, and a lot of fun.
Mark :thumbsup:

Pretty darn good shootin by all!
I would rest easy knowing any of yall had my back.
Jethro and Swampy, Thanks! :bow:
Glad to see a big turn out for this one. :hatsoff:
Noticed Grey Whiskers and I had durn near the same size group! :hmm:
That does it, Next time I aint shootin blindfolded! :rotf:

Jethro224 said:
if you take the first 15 old farts and put them up against the 15 young pups, we beat them by .357.

I noticed that too. :thumbsup:

Well that takes some of the agony out of defeat...
:grin:

(Now, if I could just get the pain outta my back...) :shake:

a lot of great shooting by all... :thumbsup: and just goes to show that I need to shoot more :grin:

Good shooting all!..Enjoyed the banter!
This motivates me to shoot more and better against myself.
I spent a couple hours shooting till I felt I could do no better...
Looking forward to shooting this next round of targets.
As long as I improve as I go .
Maybe some day I'll get the hang of off hand shooting.
Practice does make perfect.

makeumsmoke said:

I think yer gettin' 'er figgered out Dan. :grin:
I saw your score. :thumbsup:

Jethro224 said:
makeumsmoke said:

I think yer gettin' 'er figgered out Dan. :grin:
I saw your score. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement Jethro!..
what you didn't see was the other 29 target scores I shot :surrender: More powder..More lead! Now where are my glasses? :redface:

Poor Cherry went on the operating table.

Rear sight was . . .
HPIM2572.jpg

Is now . . .
HPIM2573.jpg

I still have to square-up the bottom and hollow out the backside a bit.

And a 0.082" wide front sight to replace the 0.050" current. Then a bit of filing and shooting.

HPIM2591.jpg

Things ya gotta do to keep up with the whippersnappers. Sheeesh.

Stumpy, one of the old geezers/farts err..guys I shoot with just did the exact same thing to his rifle, It seemed to help alot. Good luck with it!

Something sure had to be done.

THE ADMIRAL is convinced I'm [further] nutz. I had the new front blade taped to one end of a yard-stick out on the back deck and a couple small wood blocks at the other end sighting chickens to trial how wide the notch had to be.

Two hacksaw blades wide (0.065") was perfect width AND a good cutter after I taped them together. (Real gunsmiths cringe at my farmer-fix-ups).

I bet even the chickens gave you a funny look! :haha:
Im not far behind, Little fine sights I have fell in love with, are starting to not look so crisp these days.

Back