• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Old guns and old men

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse

40 Cal
Reaction score
A couple threads of late on this fine forum have got me to thinkin about life and what to make of it all. The old timers and the the young ones just startin out. I'm on a short track at 74. But I cling to the old days and ways. I've all but forgottin my cartridge guns that I used and loved in my life and now my flintlock rifle and smoothbore give me most comfort these days.
Because they're old like me and still can get the job done for now anyway :)
Heres a video for you Texans, I spent a little time there in Lackland in 1966.

A couple threads of late on this fine forum have got me to thinkin about life and what to make of it all. The old timers and the the young ones just startin out. I'm on a short track at 74. But I cling to the old days and ways. I've all but forgottin my cartridge guns that I used and loved in my life and now my flintlock rifle and smoothbore give me most comfort these days.

Thank you for posting that, love his music. I just watched Cowboy Poets Waddie Mitchell and Baxter Black on an old clip of Johnny Carson last night.

Thanks for posting that. Ive not heard that before but its awesome

Of all my children, only the youngest son has a love of walnut and blued steel, I gave him the last of my BP rifles, and a few of the CF ones, hr learned the history and uses of the one passed down, I know down the line at least with his family they will continue to bring warm memories and feelings. Getting old ain't for sissies!

Compared to me, you are but a mere child at 74. My passion since I was less than 30 years old have been muzzle loaders. I have a beautiful flint longrifle that has been my main gun most of those years. Yes, I shot and hunted with modern guns also. But, I never deserted mls. As age crept up I found I could no longer handle my favorite long guns. Dave Person, here, built me a Little Fella beautiful flint rifle that I can still handle. Most of my modern guns are gone except for a few critter getters, ready if necessary.

I keep as proficient as I am physically able with all my guns whether they be hand guns or long guns. Some shoot slowly, some quickly, and some really quickly. Arthritis is the main detriment to my shooting. Especially the revolvers with the way the handles are shaped.

I will be 76 in a few months and time, combined with "Youthful Excess" have taken their toll. I began shooting traditional muzzleloaders late, in my early to mid-60s. Those smoke belching, sulfur smelling firearms completely dominated my interest for the last 10 years or so. Yes, I stay in practice with my unmentionable firearms, but my dedicated time and energy is directed toward traditional black powder. To me, holding that wood and metal in my hands is like holding history.

Prior to going in for open heart surgery, I asked my son which of my black powder and historic battle rifles he would want if the worst happened in surgery. "All of them" Dad. That was the answer I dreamed about receiving, but didn't expect.

I survived the surgery, so still have possession of the firearms. That's not fully the truth. I did not survive the surgery, but flatlined in the ICU. A nurse jumped on me and performed CPR until the team arrived to jumpstart my heart. And start it did! I'm still here, shooting those ball firing rifles, muskets and pistols!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back