• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old guns and old men

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be 76 in a few months and time, combined with "Youthful Excess" have taken their toll. I began shooting traditional muzzleloaders late, in my early to mid-60s. Those smoke belching, sulfur smelling firearms completely dominated my interest for the last 10 years or so. Yes, I stay in practice with my unmentionable firearms, but my dedicated time and energy is directed toward traditional black powder. To me, holding that wood and metal in my hands is like holding history.
Prior to going in for open heart surgery, I asked my son which of my black powder and historic battle rifles he would want if the worst happened in surgery. "All of them" Dad. That was the answer I dreamed about receiving, but didn't expect.
I survived the surgery, so still have possession of the firearms. That's not fully the truth. I did not survive the surgery, but flatlined in the ICU. A nurse jumped on me and performed CPR until the team arrived to jumpstart my heart. And start it did! I'm still here, shooting those ball firing rifles, muskets and pistols!
Thank you for the story and relating your near death experience. Your story means a lot to me, as I have had several close calls, and one really close call, though it was never on an operating table. You Sir, were brought back and kept here for a reason.

Thank you for the story and relating your near death experience. Your story means a lot to me, as I have had several close calls, and one really close call, though it was never on an operating table. You Sir, were brought back and kept here for a reason.
I am glad you survived those close calls. I feel as though I've been given a second chance and want to use that as an opportunity to make a positive difference to those around me. It may sound a little melodramatic but that is how I feel.
If I recall correctly, BigAl52 here on this forum was the the first non-family member to visit with me after my revival. It did and still does mean a lot to me. Thanks, my friend.

I am glad you survived those close calls. I feel as though I've been given a second chance and want to use that as an opportunity to make a positive difference to those around me. It may sound a little melodramatic but that is how I feel.
If I recall correctly, BigAl52 here on this forum was the the first non-family member to visit with me after my revival. It did and still does mean a lot to me. Thanks, my friend.
Survival will do that :thumb:

I have had a love for 18th century history and muzzle loaders since I was a young boy. It is so exciting to build build a firearm from components, finish it however you want and be able to take it to the range or woods. I do not own a black gun and really don't have any interest in them.

BP guns are HERITAGE, born of an era completely removed from today's politically charged manic chaos and disorder.

Honestly, they're all fun, but NOTHING beats the sound, the smell, the romance, of the muzzleloading traditional sidelock firearm. Don't even get me started on the modern front loaders. 🤮

Last edited by a moderator:
I still haven't found the Verner/Bucks Co. .40 yet and as soon as that happens then on to a left-handed "Fuuzzee" or fowler, then a SXS 12 perc gun...then... heck, I don't know...I am sure I will think of something! 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back