• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old gunmaker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Could someone who has a copy of Ned Robert's "The Caplock Rifle" look up John Cherry (I think that's the name) for me, please?
There is a photo of him holding a rifle outside the door of a cabin and I'd like to get the details of his age etc., and the year for which he had a receipt for paying 'Poll Tax'. Thanks in anticipation.
My own copy of the book disappeared years ago and it's not one that turns up in local libraries in Australia.

I believe the man you refer to may be John Shell, covered on pp 226-228 of the book. He's referred to as having lived to "a much greater age than any other white person in the United States during many years past", and died in July 1922 claiming to be 134 years old. He was born, according to reports, Sep 14 1788 in Lincoln County, VA, and besides being a long time rifle maker of both flint and percussion guns, hunted with Daniel Boone. The poll tax receipt you refer to was dated 1809--and one had to be 21 years old to pay the tax, thus made him 131 at the time.
It's an interesting read. If you'll PM me with your email address I'll scan the pages and email them to you. It'll be Wednesday before I have access to a scanner.
Hope this helps.
God Bless,
Charles

Colonial Boy said:
Could someone who has a copy of Ned Robert's "The Caplock Rifle" look up John Cherry (I think that's the name) for me, please?
There is a photo of him holding a rifle outside the door of a cabin and I'd like to get the details of his age etc., and the year for which he had a receipt for paying 'Poll Tax'. Thanks in anticipation.
My own copy of the book disappeared years ago and it's not one that turns up in local libraries in Australia.

John Sherry is listed with a 3-4 paragraph bio.
Just a portrait type photo.
The only person standing by a door way with a rod in a rifle is Hacker Martin.

William Walker of Tennessee is shown standing near a cabin with a percussion long rifle.

Did not find anyone named Cherry.

Dan

I am seeing a John Sherry listed on page 430 in the list of old-time gunmakers in the back of the book It says he was from Lancaster Pa. and born in 1797. I have not found the picture or write up in a quick look through the book if I do I will get back to you.

Back