• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Old GOEX cans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When did goex change their cans.I traded 2 cans of pyrodex for these 2 full old cans of goex.
donselk034.jpg

The date the powder was made will be on the bottom of the can. That should give you a rough estimate of when they changed the design.

Not sure, I started in 1982 and have all the same cans you have. Dilly

CROWHOP,
My thinking is you may have lost a couple $, but have a much better product.
I could be wrong, but I don't think B/P has
a use before this date, date. At least I have not
seen one.... :hmm: anybody seen one. I've heard
of C/W powder still being potent,and useful
today.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Black powder, when stored correctly, doesn't expire. I'm using some 1f that my father use to use in a pipe gun he made in the 50's.

Here's how to read the manufacture codes on the bottom of the can:

The code on the Goex can gives the granulation, the lot number, and the date of manufacture.

For instance: 02/73.00NO3B

From left to right, this breaks down as 2f granulation, lot number 73. It was manufactured in the year 2000, the month of November, on the third day of the month, and packed on the second, or "B" shift.

Here are some numbers.
02-39/76ap29c
761l28b
The second number is kinda hard to read.
I was just curios when they changed to the new label.BTW I used the old powder to kill a deer this year.

If I read the numbers right were they made in 1976?And are they worth anything?I had 2 cans just like these that were ff goex and after I shot the powder up I gave them to a guy.He said he wanted them to hang on the wall at his house.

Back