• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Old Gobbler with my 12 Gauge Under Hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

40 Cal
Reaction score
I got it done this morning with my newly acquired 12 Gauge UnderHammer, This is a BIG Gobbler, one of my Better ones 👍 He was about 12 Yards when i “Cut Drive” on him, It was Cold this morning, the Smoke lingered, I could hear him FLOPPING all over, i just sat and enjoyed the Moment. This was a Good turkey season, I killed 2 Nice Gobblers (Filled both my Tags) I had a Friend over on my 1st Gobbler, We had a LOT of Fun, Gotta hear, & see a LOT of Gobblers

vedwYij.jpg

This was my 1st Gobbler, I got him a few weeks ago
jaGkI69.jpg

Well done! I love that gun, too. Never had an underhammer, but they’ve popped up on the board so much recently that I’ve started keeping an eye out for one.

I got it done this morning with my newly acquired 12 Gauge UnderHammer, This is a BIG Gobbler, one of my Better ones 👍 He was about 12 Yards when i “Cut Drive” on him, It was Cold this morning, the Smoke lingered, I could hear him FLOPPING all over, i just sat and enjoyed the Moment. This was a Good turkey season, I killed 2 Nice Gobblers (Filled both my Tags) I had a Friend over on my 1st Gobbler, We had a LOT of Fun, Gotta hear, & see a LOT of Gobblers

vedwYij.jpg

This was my 1st Gobbler, I got him a few weeks ago
jaGkI69.jpg
Heck Lewis! If it's not 1200 yards it's 12! Have you got a thing for#12?
😄👍

Nice turkey.
I like your barrel, what did you use?
Any choke?

It is “Jug Choked” 👍

My load was 80 Grains of Swiss 2F, Pushing 1-1/8 Oz of No. 5s

I use the little thin overshot Cards ONLY on the Powder (3-4 of them) and 2 of them for the Shot. This is Something i learned from “Caywood“ several years back, it DEFINITELY works, I don’t get the “Dreaded” Doughnut hole in my Pattern this way.

This is how i load (MINUS the Cornmeal Muffin Mix, I feel it is more trouble than it’s worth, in my opinion anyway)
http://www.caywoodguns.com/working-up-turkey-loads.html

Sweet and way to go.What do you mean by Jug Chocked? What is the max range that you can still have a good effective pattern for huntin?

That is awesome!! I wish we had turkey hunting down here like you guys have. That is a beautiful shotgun!!

Jug choked means the barrel is reamed out just a fraction of an inch, for just a few inches. The reaming stops just a little before the muzzle so the last couple inches of barrel are at the normal bore size. It acts as a bit of a choke by allowing the shot to open slightly then being reduced back to the bore diameter just before exiting the barrel.

That is awesome!! I wish we had turkey hunting down here like you guys have. That is a beautiful shotgun!!

Thank you Ron, It would sure be fun if you could make it up for a Turkey Hunt, I know you would REALLY enjoy it!! They are a really neat Bird “The Poor Man’s Elk“ :) You get to see, and hear LOTS of Gobblers Fire off in a Day, Get set up and Try to “Work em” 👍 It’s a LOT of Fun, Rarely a dull Moment. As I’ve always said, You are Welcome at Our Home ANYTIME, Jax and i Stil talk about how much we enjoyed having you here for Whitetail Deer that year. I would REALLY enjoy Shooting these Muzzleloaders with ya, We would have to Set aside a Day for that, FOR SURE!

Back