Old Gobbler with my 12 Gauge Under Hammer

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Idaholewis

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I got it done this morning with my newly acquired 12 Gauge UnderHammer, This is a BIG Gobbler, one of my Better ones 👍 He was about 12 Yards when i “Cut Drive” on him, It was Cold this morning, the Smoke lingered, I could hear him FLOPPING all over, i just sat and enjoyed the Moment. This was a Good turkey season, I killed 2 Nice Gobblers (Filled both my Tags) I had a Friend over on my 1st Gobbler, We had a LOT of Fun, Gotta hear, & see a LOT of Gobblers

This was my 1st Gobbler, I got him a few weeks ago

BS

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Nice turkey.
I like your barrel, what did you use?
Any choke?

JohnnieT

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well done! I love that gun, too. Never had an underhammer, but they’ve popped up on the board so much recently that I’ve started keeping an eye out for one.

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I got it done this morning with my newly acquired 12 Gauge UnderHammer, This is a BIG Gobbler, one of my Better ones 👍 He was about 12 Yards when i “Cut Drive” on him, It was Cold this morning, the Smoke lingered, I could hear him FLOPPING all over, i just sat and enjoyed the Moment. This was a Good turkey season, I killed 2 Nice Gobblers (Filled both my Tags) I had a Friend over on my 1st Gobbler, We had a LOT of Fun, Gotta hear, & see a LOT of Gobblers

This was my 1st Gobbler, I got him a few weeks ago
Heck Lewis! If it's not 1200 yards it's 12! Have you got a thing for#12?
😄👍

Idaholewis

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Nice turkey.
I like your barrel, what did you use?
Any choke?
It is “Jug Choked” 👍

My load was 80 Grains of Swiss 2F, Pushing 1-1/8 Oz of No. 5s

I use the little thin overshot Cards ONLY on the Powder (3-4 of them) and 2 of them for the Shot. This is Something i learned from “Caywood“ several years back, it DEFINITELY works, I don’t get the “Dreaded” Doughnut hole in my Pattern this way.

This is how i load (MINUS the Cornmeal Muffin Mix, I feel it is more trouble than it’s worth, in my opinion anyway)
http://www.caywoodguns.com/working-up-turkey-loads.html

good ole boy

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet and way to go.What do you mean by Jug Chocked? What is the max range that you can still have a good effective pattern for huntin?

Idaho Ron

58 Cal.
Reaction score
That is awesome!! I wish we had turkey hunting down here like you guys have. That is a beautiful shotgun!!

Daryl Crawford

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Jug choked means the barrel is reamed out just a fraction of an inch, for just a few inches. The reaming stops just a little before the muzzle so the last couple inches of barrel are at the normal bore size. It acts as a bit of a choke by allowing the shot to open slightly then being reduced back to the bore diameter just before exiting the barrel.

Idaholewis

Pilgrim
Reaction score
That is awesome!! I wish we had turkey hunting down here like you guys have. That is a beautiful shotgun!!
Thank you Ron, It would sure be fun if you could make it up for a Turkey Hunt, I know you would REALLY enjoy it!! They are a really neat Bird “The Poor Man’s Elk“ :) You get to see, and hear LOTS of Gobblers Fire off in a Day, Get set up and Try to “Work em” 👍 It’s a LOT of Fun, Rarely a dull Moment. As I’ve always said, You are Welcome at Our Home ANYTIME, Jax and i Stil talk about how much we enjoyed having you here for Whitetail Deer that year. I would REALLY enjoy Shooting these Muzzleloaders with ya, We would have to Set aside a Day for that, FOR SURE!