• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Eynsford 1-1/2 F?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just scored nicely.

A coworker's dad recently passed away. He was a black powder shooter. The coworker, who does not shoot at all, dropped off two new containers of Goex 3F, one open container, and one unopened container of Goex 2F, and one new container of Old Eynsford 1-1/2F black powder. I know what I'll use the 2F and 3F for.

What is 1-1/2 F used for?

I'd think it might be a little better than the 2F standard Goex concerning both performance and fouling.

No. Nobody is using the stuff for the rifles and/or smooth bores that are the usual topic when it comes to "best use".
I'm not saying it can't be used or experimented with in any or all rifles or shotguns,,
,, but it's not a recommended powder for typical applications.
Try asking in the cannon section,,

I didn't take enough Goex FFg w me on a summer trip. Only real BP I could find was OE 1 1/2. It shot fine in my .40 flinter, well enough to tie for 3rd in a state silhouette match including one oh sh-oo-t on 25 yard line.
TC

I use Swiss 1 1/2 in a couple of my .50 cal rifles. It shoots clean and accurate. I reduced the charge by 10 grains.
Michael

I have shot around 50 pounds on 1.5 f swiss in ML's.

No reason that you can not use it, I think you will find that when you pull the trigger the rifle will fire.

Fleener

I use 1 1/2 Swiss in everything bigger than 45 cal. Started cause no ff was available. Liked it and never went back.

Being the champion string cutter at the Uintah Mountain Man shoot, using my .54 Jim Bridger rifle I made, I figured I could cut a string at 100 yards from bench rest. I did it twice. See targets below.

I shot through my Oehler 35P chroniograph at a blank sheet of paper (top) for checking my zero. This is with 100 grains (weight-corrected measure) of Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F, .525 cast balls, .008 (crushed reading) linen. No wiping between shots or targets, but with a wet cleaning patch on the seater jag so I wiped the bore as I loaded. (You can hold down control and hit + sign to enlarge). 1759 fps, 27 spread.

This is 100 grains (weight constructed measure) of Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F and .530 cast balls. The fourth shot nicked the string and the fifth cut it. 1744 fps, 56 spread.

bottom target was 100 grains of Olde Eynsford 2F and .008 crushed reading linen. First shot cut the string, but I shot four more for velocity and group. 1773 fps, 42 spread. These are my two most favorite powders in my Hawkens.

Back