• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old eyes.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My focal length began changing years ago. I started shooting flintlocks in 2000. Was quick to find the rear sight just a little fuzzy although I was shooting quite well at the time. The issue progressed and I found myself getting progressive lenses. That was a big help! But I also discoved a little device called A "Merit Optical Attachment". It attaches to one's glasses with a small suction cup and the eyepiece swings out of the way when not needed. It also has a adjustable aperature. I use it when shooting from the bench. It's a slick little deal.

Attachments

• 20201212_084519.jpg
    20201212_084519.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 20201212_084527.jpg
    20201212_084527.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20201212_084537.jpg
    20201212_084537.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 98
They are getting hard to find now, but they do work.

I went ahead and got the new lens implants. Considerably more costly than the diopter sighting aid to put on your glasses. But I don't need glasses except for safety glasses.

I have used the Merit. Upside: they fit on your glasses and NMLRA rules do not class them as 'peeps. Downside: Very tricky to place on glasses where you need it to be for consistent hold and sighting. I have tried homemade versions also. Basically do not like.

I went ahead and got the new lens implants. Considerably more costly than the diopter sighting aid to put on your glasses. But I don't need glasses except for safety glasses.
I have lens implants due to cataract surgery. Everything is bright again and excellent distance vision. But with that my close up vision sufferred. I no longer need glasses for driving but do for things up close. I wear progessive lensed glasses. A BIG help!

I have used the Merit. Upside: they fit on your glasses and NMLRA rules do not class them as 'peeps. Downside: Very tricky to place on glasses where you need it to be for consistent hold and sighting. I have tried homemade versions also. Basically do not like.
It would be good if it had some sort of non-marring spring clip on it that would not move. That would work better than the suction cup. I only use it on the bench.

They still sell them. About $65.00.
I think I bought mine from Brownells'. It was about $50.00 I think. It was/is worth it. I recently looked at Knobloch lense holders & shooting glasses. I'm sure they work very well. I didn't look for prices. They have a lot of hardware to them. I would look like I was assimilated by the "Borg" (Star Trek) if I wore them. LOL!

I found the suction cup attachment to be iffy at times. Had it fall off on a trail walk and was lucky to find it among st the leaves. I have since removed the suction cup and directly attached it to my shooting glasses. So far so good.

They still sell them. About $65.00.
I think I bought mine from Brownells'. It was about $50.00 I think. It was/is worth it. I recently looked at Knobloch lense holders & shooting glasses. I'm sure they work very well. I didn't look for prices. They have a lot of hardware to them. I would look like I was assimilated by the "Borg" (Star Trek) if I wore them. LOL!
Retraction! After doing some research I found out that I misspoke concerning availability. It seems that they are out of stock everywhere! Sorry if I misled you.

I have used a Merit disk for many years. Have also found the suction cup to be iffy. Tied a fishing line to the disk and put a loop over the temple on my glasses. Falls off and hangs, nothing lost.

I have the same problem. I also tried the Merit aperture, but found it heavy enough to drag the glasses down my nose.

I recently found www.eyepalusa.com
I was very skeptical at first, but decided to try them. I was VERY surprised at how well it improved my sight picture, and bought a few more sets to keep in my gun boxes.

Well worth the effort and money. Can see critters a long ways off now.

My eye problem was the retina which only surgery can (maybe) fix. I had the surgery back in the summer and it's still healing. There's been a small amount of improvement and possibly a bit more to come. Lenses and apertures unfortunately can't help.

Had one of the Merit pinholes. It worked well but came loose & I lost it.
I now use Lyman's EyePal. It also work but cost about half as much - and comes in a two-pack. Simpler and 1/4 the cost per pinhole.

Years ago I was shown a system that was noting but a round stick on circle that was put on you eye glass lens. Was told that not ever one has what is call binocular vison. System worked Today trap and skeet shooter can buy safety glass that have an adjustable dot.

I recently found www.eyepalusa.com
I was very skeptical at first, but decided to try them. I was VERY surprised at how well it improved my sight picture, and bought a few more sets to keep in my gun boxes.

I started wearing glasses for nearsightedness about 20 years ago, and I finally reached the point where my rx made rear sights and handgun sights too blurry to be useful, so last year I picked up a set of those, and I like them a lot. They take some fiddling to find just the right spot to stick them to, but once you get them set they work like a charm. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back