• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Old CVA mtn rifle stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger955

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought an old CVA mtn rifle with a "Made in USA" barrel. It appears to be a kit gun that someone assembled but didn't finish, the barrel and hardware are in the white, and no finish on the stock. It has never been fired that I can tell. Couldn't pass up the price.
Anyhow, everything is there but the PO did a real hack job of inletting, and tried to do some carving to embellish it. Like I said, TRIED. It is going to take quite a bit of filler to make things fit right and will probably never look real good, so I was wondering if anyone has, or knows of, a decent used stock, or semi-inletted blank for a reasonable price. It is a 50 cal with a 15/16's barrel and a short tang. I am not looking to build a show-piece, just a shooter that I won't be embarrassed to take to club shoots.

flebay, but a stock is still gonna go 125>, the MR is a discontinuid thing.
Deer Creek might have a stock new, call'm;
765-525-9595
Ya know, most factory stocks are way oversize for originals, even factory finish are big. Maybe just try to take the guy's carving out by reducing the entire stock profile. :idunno:

Been thinking of building a fullstock Hawken style rifle for a while now, maybe I'll get a nice blank and try my hand at carving my own. Any body ever use the plans/blueprints from the Hawken Shop? I'll have to buy a new lock to make it look right, maybe a clamshell patchbox, maybe a bigger barrel, say 1 1/8 58 cal.
Oh my! This could wind up being an expensive bargain I got eh? :hmm:

I have a Mountain Rifle that has been around 30+ years. Early on I found the factory stock did not fit me very well. It had a habit of slapping me.

I changed it out to a Leman stock I got from Pecatonica River. It got a precarved cut to a 15/16" barrel. That stock has more drop and a longer pull than the factory stock. For the Leman stock I had to put a different buttplate and nosecap on. The factory stuff was too wide for the new stock.

MountainRifle.jpg

A fullstock Hawken should work fine. You will have to rearrange the underlugs but it is definitely doable.

tiger955 said:
Been thinking of building a fullstock Hawken style rifle for a while now, maybe I'll get a nice blank and try my hand at carving my own. ... Oh my! This could wind up being an expensive bargain I got eh? :hmm:

I thought about doing the same and bought three 4A/5A grade exhibition fiddleback tiger maple blanks to do it. But like so many other "projects" on the books I never got around to it before my health went south.

Yes it can get expensive, especially if you buy wood like this (and it just collects dust in your shop...).
:shake:
bearwood.jpg

Back