old CVA kit

Discussion in 'Percussion Rifles' started by tom in nc, Feb 13, 2020.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Feb 14, 2020 #21

Acorn Mush

Acorn Mush

Acorn Mush

32 Cal

Yup, did the same thing. Cut the barrel down to 24". Made a very handy trainer rifle for my sons and a couple of other kids. Just wish I had had the skills required to shorten the butt stock to about a 12" or so length of pull.

2. Feb 14, 2020 #22

hanshi

hanshi

hanshi

Cannon

Years ago I had an old kit built CVA, just a cheapy. But that sucker would evermore shoot! It also took deer very well.

azmntman likes this.
  3. Feb 14, 2020 #23

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

69 Cal.

As you have probably noticed, the buttstock isn't very thick on them.

4. Feb 14, 2020 #24

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Speaking of the lock, this kit has the OLD style lock in it.
    They were notorious for wearing out rapidly because the tumbler does not have a bridle on the end furthest from the lockplate.
    The later CVA locks had a bridle (bridge) that has a hole in it for a projection (axle) on the tumbler to rotate in.

Because the lockplates on these locks are not hardened and a very heavy force from the mainspring is trying to twist the tumbler in the hole in the lock plate it is very important to make sure that there is adequate lubrication.
    Even dunking the whole lock into a bowl of 90 weight automotive gear oil that is used in differentials and then wiping the oil off of any exposed surface isn't going too far. (In fact, the 90 weight oil has EPL (Extreme Pressure Lubricant) additives that will greatly reduce wear in the CVA lock).

The only caution is, if the lock is going to be browned or blued, don't lubricate the lock until after the browning or bluing has been done. It must be totally oil free for these surface treatments.

5. Feb 15, 2020 #25

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

40 Cal

I built/put together a .45 cal. CVA "Kentucky" Rifle kit back in the late 1980's.
    It was a good shooter/"tack driver".

I could see better back then. Broom sticks were an "Easy Kill" at 100 yards.
    (1 inch broom stick at 100 yards looked to be the same width as the front sight blade. Just lined them up - easy shot.)

If memory serves, it liked 70 grains FFg and 110 grains Fg real DuPont Black Powder the best, using a .440 PRB. (no over powder wad)
    I remember using pre-lubed CVA patches in it.

I kinda wish I still had that one.

Carbon 6 likes this.
  6. Feb 16, 2020 #26

AntiqueSledMan

AntiqueSledMan

AntiqueSledMan

36 Cl.

Hello Tom,

I built one about 20 years ago, turn out pretty nice & really shot well (1:66 twist).
    I traded even for a .58 Big Bore Mountain Rifle, many times I wish I'd just kept it.
    My son is doing a later model now, .45 cal. but 1:48 twist. We'll see how that one shoots.

AntiqueSledMan.

7. Feb 16, 2020 #27

spudnut

spudnut

spudnut

50 Cal.

Thats where my journey began in 1977, just recently aquirred a built up one and its a shooter. I tarted it up and disguised the two piece stock, a great way to recapture the fun of where I started. Ive been through about 30 long guns in my background usualy trading off one for another

8. Feb 17, 2020 #28

cephus

cephus

cephus

32 Cal

I want one of these 45 Cal kits bad.

Andy

Draft saved Draft deleted