• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Old CVA kit stock problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger955

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been shooting ML's for 20 years now but this is my first attempt at a build.
I found a partially assembled early CVA Mountain Rifle kit at a local gun shop, cheap. The main reason I bought it was it has a "Made in USA" barrel. All parts are unfinished, in the white. Here is the problem...
Whoever started this project was apparently not good with tools, or planning ahead. There is some attempt at carving on the stock, a very bad attempt. And, the inletting on most of the parts is too deep, and too proud in many areas. The too deep I can fix, but how to add wood where too much was removed is the problem. In particular, the inletting for the escutcheons for the barrel wedges are way too big and out of place. It looks like he inletted them and then found the wedges wouldn't fit and the moved them (almost 3/16" on the front one).
I have been looking at this piece of wood for a while trying to find a solution that would look half decent. My ideas...
1. I have read on several builders sites that modern repro mountain/ plains type rifles have way too much wood on them, way too thick compared to originals. I am thinking of filing/ sanding till the inletting is gone then doing it right, but am concerned the forend will be too thin. It is about 1 3/8 thick now which looks about right to me compared with my TC"s, after reshaping it will be about 1 1/8", with a 15/16 barrel. Too thin?
2. Get larger escutcheons to cover up the old inletting. They would have to be about 1 1/4 x 3/4", seems too large to look right with the lines of the stock. Any thoughts?
3. Cut out the bad areas and inlet some larger different wood pieces to fill the bad areas and re-inlet. Sounds like it would look pretty hokey.
4. Use the stock for firewood, and buy a new piece of wood using the barrel and furniture I have to build a decent rifle. I kind of like this idea but may be over my head for a 1st time build.
Also, the factory butt plate is over 1 1/2" wide, seems too big for this gun, should it be trimmed down? I don't plan on using heavy loads, mostly trail walk shoots. I have a .54 for the big stuff, as well as a couple TC's.
Any and all advice is welcome.

Pictures might help us make suggestions with what you are trying to explain! One of the easiest solutions I can offer with out pics is to buy another Mt. Rifle Stock thats been finished. You can find them on one of the online auction sites.

3. Cut out the bad areas and inlet some larger different wood pieces to fill the bad areas and re-inlet.

Not a bad idea, If you make the replacement wood a diamond or larger oval it'll look alright.

Also, the factory butt plate is over 1 1/2" wide, seems too big for this gun, should it be trimmed down?

I have my Mountain Rilfe in hand and the butt plate is just over an 1 1/2 wide (1.59) and mines factory

I will not comment on the size of the butt plate but as for the fore arm if you have 1/8 inch of wood on either side of thebarrel that should be thick enough. Good luck with your build.............................watch yer top knot....................

necci, would you think a similar or contrasting wood? The stock is straight grained maple. I was thinking of inletting walnut diamonds, or perhaps another light wood would look better.
I am also a fan of the original Hawken rifles and was thinking of building it close to that style, that is why I was considering shaving it down. I know the 15/16 barrel is smaller than the originals, but want to keep near the same proportions?

I would a contrasting, Walnut might be a good choice because it would be darker when fininshed.
Darker wouldn't "pop" like a lighter color would.
A carefull choice of the actual wood is needed though, some Walnut can be very soft.

You can thin the forearm some, but it's a CVA Mountain rifle not a Golden Age long rifle, or a Hawkin. Too much change and you'll end up with something that looks like it was something else and changed alot.

Track of the Wolf has different sized inlay that might work for ya, without the catalog and the actual size photo's you'll need to call them or email to get the right size.(3 pages) http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartList.aspx?catID=14&subID=162&styleID=720

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you would be better off to just buy another stock for it. This filling & patching & trying to hide the other guys screwups ?? I think I would forget that & just buy another stock & build it back like it is supposed to be done.

Keith Lisle

Gentlemen, what I see here is a perfect opportunity, to have some fun fixing up that rough old stock with out having to take a bank loan to do it. Replacemens are not difficult to find, So if you completely trash it so what. What a person can get in experience and knowledge of his abilities and weakness es is pricless. If I had it I would mess with the original stock first then go from there. Sounds like a cheap fun project to me yours hounddog

yes houndog, that is pretty much my idea. I basically bought the gun for the barrel, and like I said, it was cheap. I have never built a gun, but have been wanting to, and figure I want to try to make this one presentable. If I screw it up (worse than it is) I will at least gain some experience without ruining an expensive piece of wood, then I can buy some wood and parts to make a better gun with this barrel. (that was the original plan)
I have been studying some pictures of original Hawkens I took at Cody as well as many others on line. Most seem to have rather thin fore ends (with larger barrels) and I think I have enough wood to work with to come up something similar. I am not looking to make an accurate replica, just a shooter with similar lines.
As others have posted, the easy way would be to buy a finished stock to put together a shooter, but I already have a couple that I did that way. But thank you to all that responded. :thumbsup:

Back