• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

OLD CVA Kentucky Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well here's one: does anyone make a replacement stock for the old CVA Kentucky rifle? It was my first ML way back when when I was like 14-15 and while I did a good job on the metal, there was only so much you could do w/ the crappy wood and 2 piece stock. I see Traditions still makes it, but I don't want that stock. I'd just like to get a good replacement that I could redo. NO, I do not want to inlet it all myself... I don't have that kind of time :(

I have gotten three off of ebay. I like the take down stocks. Traveling from Texas to Alaska the break down makes it much easier. Just took a caribou with one yesterday.

Doc Johnson
Kotzebue Alaska

I just ordered a precarved Ohio half-stock for my old CVA Kentucky. I will have to inlet the lock, trigger, guard and buttplate. The barrel channel and ramrod hole are already done. Should be a fun job! I'll let you know how it goes.

Clay
San Jose CA

If you are going from a fullstock KY to a halfstock Vincent you are also gonna need a underrib, underrib screws, proper sized drill bits & taps to install same, new RR pipes & new entrtypipe. :hmm:

If the original barrel was pinned in & had dovetail underlugs, these may be visable when you are finished. :hmm:

It's not a Vincent, Birddog, just a generic Ohio stock. I know I'm going to need a half-rib. I've already cut-off the front pin underlug and filed it down. I'll wait to see where the rear one fits in the barrel channel before I remove it. Sitll not sure if I'm going to use a wedge or a pin. It isn't a two-piece patent breech anyway, so removing the barrel for cleaning would be more of a problem (I have one of those nipple-seat screw-in cleaning thingies with a hose attached anyway, just waiting to be used). Installing an underrib on my last project, a Gemmer Hawken, was annoying but not impossible, so I should be OK here.
Thanks,
Clay
San Jose CA

Back