• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

old black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired some old black powder; can anyone tell me what exactly I have, as well as whether it is still safe to fire? The label seems to be made of paper and is starting to peel from its metal cannister
Austin Pistol BP label 1.jpg

Austin Pistol BP label 2.jpg

I acquired some old black powder; can anyone tell me what exactly I have, as well as whether it is still safe to fire? The label seems to be made of paper and is starting to peel from its metal cannister
View attachment 107477
View attachment 107478
Appears you have an old C&H blackpowder can. You need to verify that what ever is in it is actually blackpowder before you just ‘shoot it’. I have personally come across smokeless powders in the incorrect containers, blackpowder powder in old smokeless containers with the labels removed with FF written on the can, powder stored in old coffee cans with plastic lids and some stored in old canning jars. You never know what you will find going through someone’s stash.

Bought old powder can from flea market--circa 1953 vintage.
Pre zip code. About 20% left of old powder.
Was caked but I loosened it up.
Fired extra smokey but still was adequate.
Black powder is good for decades--maybe much longer.
It is composed of basic stable ingredients.
Subs watch out--they degrade. Especially after exposure
to atmosphere.

i corresponded with a gentleman in Michigan (i think it was Michigan) about deactivating a WBS cannon ball i have. just after i contacted him he was killed deactivating someone else's . he had done the deactivating as a business for years.
my cannon ball is still charged and doesn't live in the house. i can see the grains through the fuse hole and they look back like snake eyes!.

From 1959-62 i was stationed at Fort Bragg, NC with the 864th EOD unit. We responded to several incidents involving individuals killed or injured by Civil War explosive ordnance. One man near Washington, NC was killed while brazing a lug on a 10 inch cannon ball. He was attempting to make a boat anchor.

i corresponded with a gentleman in Michigan (i think it was Michigan) about deactivating a WBS cannon ball i have. just after i contacted him he was killed deactivating someone else's . he had done the deactivating as a business for years.
my cannon ball is still charged and doesn't live in the house. i can see the grains through the fuse hole and they look back like snake eyes!.

I took a 20 pound Parrot shell to a well known expert for deactivating. He takes me and the shell out back to his garage where he has an old Craftsman table top drill press and vise mounted in the back of a kid's wagon with a garden hose attached. He clamps the shell in place, turns on the water to spray it down and we retreat to inside his wooden garage. He plugs in the drill press and while peering out a crack in the door starts pulling on a rope to lower the drill and start drilling, this in a residential area no less :eek: I could see other houses. Well I looked around and found a masonry support column to stand behind while he was drilling, my folks didn't raise kids dumb enough to hide behind a board wall in case of an exploding artillery shell. The whole thing was surreal, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I had expected a sheltered bunker or something like that for such work. I could have done the same thing at home but I thought it best to leave it to an "Expert". YMMV

I took a 20 pound Parrot shell to a well known expert for deactivating. He takes me and the shell out back to his garage where he has an old Craftsman table top drill press and vise mounted in the back of a kid's wagon with a garden hose attached. He clamps the shell in place, turns on the water to spray it down and we retreat to inside his wooden garage. He plugs in the drill press and while peering out a crack in the door starts pulling on a rope to lower the drill and start drilling, this in a residential area no less :eek: I could see other houses. Well I looked around and found a masonry support column to stand behind while he was drilling, my folks didn't raise kids dumb enough to hide behind a board wall in case of an exploding artillery shell. The whole thing was surreal, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I had expected a sheltered bunker or something like that for such work. I could have done the same thing at home but I thought it best to leave it to an "Expert". YMMV

So did you live to tell the tale? ; )

I took a 20 pound Parrot shell to a well known expert for deactivating.

Worked on jobsites with a man who was in USMC EOD. In the late 1980s he was inerting a Parrot round. After removing most of the powder, the round exploded, badly injuring him. He was granted a medical retirement. At his retirement the general introduced him as "the last USMC casualty of the Civil War".

When I was ten I was given my first centerfire rifle , It was Tower made 1861 Enfield which had been converted some time later to a Snider breach loader . I was also given several cases of the original brass and paper wrapped ammunition , made in about 1869 . I shot that ammo for years , shot every thing from chickens to Red Deer and never had a misfire . The rifle was stolen about 18 years later ,but I still had some ammo left , as well as more modern made stuff . I last shot a wrapped case round in 2007 , It still worked perfectly after 138 odd years .

I have my cannon ball sitting in the yard, nestled into the hub of a wagon wheel. fuse hole toward the heavens and rain.
been there for 20 years. still not going to try to dig out those big grains of powder!

Use a pressure washer to flush the powder out. Wet Holy Black almost never kabooms. Hot water will dissolve most of the nitrate.

We are all saying the same good black powder lasts for ages Ime' mostly useing Curtis & Harveys number 4 it hasn't been made since the mid 60s .
Rudyard

Back