• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Old black powder.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a new one for me, does anybody recognize this brand. surely it's very old, but the powder seems fine and I'll burn it. IMG_20210224_145447114_HDR.jpg

From the little I've read, it appears to have been made in Scotland originally and was a very well thought of powder. It seems the company was later bought out or merged and the later stuff was made by Nobel in Germany. Perhaps one of our UK members can give more specifics (or correct me if I'm wrong). The can is a keeper for sure.

I have a couple of plastic tubs of the same name from the late 90's. had been told it was made at Kennal Mills in Cornwall at some point, looks like it was bought out by ICI / Nobel Scotland and then production moved to Hungary more recently. how accurate this is i'm not sure at it's word of mouth.

Thanks for all of the great info folks, glad I posted the photo. I hadn't really read the small print on the can and had no clue that it was made overseas.

ICI was a conglomerate, formed by amalgamation in 1926. Googling "Imperial Chemical Industries" will give you more than enough information. When I was at college (starting 1963) I used to tramp the Derbyshire moors with a 14-bore DB M-L. I bought my supplies from the local gunshop -- a pound of that powder was £1 (one British pound -- about 4 bucks then) and #6 shot was "half a crown" a pound --- that was two shillings and sixpence -- 1/8 of a £ -- so a "crown" (there was no 5 shilling coin in regular circulation) was about a buck. To put that in context when I started teaching 3 years later my salary was just under £50 a month.

Dear Jim My first wage was just under 3 pound a week & powder was 7 & 6 pence a pound ,Shot being 2/6 pence from Smiths at Newark. Maybe you shopped at the' Bishop of Beetwell Street ' Frank Hall in his deer stalker & breaks . or Turners' West Bar with that long Twigg duck gun on the beam , or maybe the good shop up South Street ? hanged if can remember his name but remember the bullet hole in his cabinet. You might have been involved with Sheffield Branch MLAGB ?. Small world ( glad I hav'nt got to paint it !) ' Bulmers selling service' in York was always worth the trip he sold Martini ramrods for 6 pence each still have one or two .I bought a LH flnt gun & a 50'' long barrelled flint gun off Bulmer .The local Derbyshire farm I shot on owner said to me "Wi can see thee cumin afoore wi can see thee". Dyson started in his loft at Honley later he did me his first flint conversion just a tired lock not the gun.
Regards Rudyard

There were other brands of black powder on the market at the same time has CH and a little later in the UK . The ones that I remember were Black Silver, Elephant Powder, SNIPE powder , Col Fargison black powder that came in five grades, the most unusual was a Chinese powder that came in a paper bag in a round cardboard tub a very fine powder most UK members will remember these old brands.
Feltwad

This is a new one for me, does anybody recognize this brand. surely it's very old, but the powder seems fine and I'll burn it.View attachment 65783
I’ve just finished my last (of two) tins of identical Goex powder, tins marked 1958. It worked perfectly in my Ruger OA and TC Seneca .36. I’ve never heard of Curtis brand though

About 25 years ago, I saw a Dupont black powder can in an antique store. The owner wanted $75 for the can at that time. Can't imagine the cost today.
This was near Kings Mill, Ohio.
I have a few Du Pont cans still w the powder in 'em. When I was a teenager it was 75 cents/lb, and a 15 year old could buy it with no questions asked.

Back