• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old barrels in a new gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RG96

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m looking to build a double barrel shotgun, In the past I’ve seen old barrels for sale (often pretty cheap). I’m just not sure what to look out for on antique guns, what problems could come up? is it worth buying one I haven’t seen in person?

I think the biggest gamble is bore condition. I felt like I'd won the lottery when my William Moore showed up with no pitting and only light surface rust inside the bore.

Next to worry about is frozen nipples (don't laugh). Getting them out can be an ordeal.

Getting the ribs or barrels re-soldered would be tough, most smiths have never done this and few are qualified for this job. If a set of barrels needed Any repair in this area I'd pass on them.

I'm sure others will have good information as well.

I think the biggest gamble is bore condition. I felt like I'd won the lottery when my William Moore showed up with no pitting and only light surface rust inside the bore.

Next to worry about is frozen nipples (don't laugh). Getting them out can be an ordeal.

Getting the ribs or barrels re-soldered would be tough, most smiths have never done this and few are qualified for this job. If a set of barrels needed Any repair in this area I'd pass on them.

I'm sure others will have good information as well.

Along with the good points Brother ETerry mentioned, one must think of WHY the barrels would be separate from the rest of the gun?

There may also be a ding or bulge in one or more barrels. A ding can be fixed, but not a bulge - other than to saw off the barrels behind it. Further, the owner may not even realize either of these things are wrong with the barrels. Worse still, there may be a small crack or split in one or more barrels and again something the seller may not even notice. Those can't be fixed except at exorbitant cost.

Separate double ML barrels often if not usually have at least one, if not both nipples broken and or frozen in place and they are often a PITA to remove AND then you may be stuck with an unusual size of nipple thread that is no longer made. In that case, you may be able to use a larger thread nipple, but you will have to tap the holes again and hope the metal around it is also not rusted out. Worse case scenario is you would have to custom make replacement nipples or have them made.

Can you tell I've looked at a fair share of separate double barrels and complete ML guns with double barrels?

In my early years of working guns, I can't tell you how many ML double barrel "family heirloom" guns I've looked at that were mostly complete or complete, but were not worth anywhere close to what it would cost to bring them back to shooting order. Even if purchased for very little money and one didn't mind the time it would take to fix it, most weren't worth it.

Bottom line, there is NO way I would buy a set of double barrels without being able to inspect them closely and even then, most would not be worth buying.

Gus

Last edited:
one must think of WHY the barrels would be separate from the rest of the gun?
Not a big deal. Many old double shotties came in sets with more than one gauge. And, many (most?) were taken down for casing and travel.
There is a very skilled ml gunsmith in Missouri who resurrects old barrels into fine, usable, shotguns. Many of those old barrels are worth saving, IMHO.

Not a big deal. Many old double shotties came in sets with more than one gauge. And, many (most?) were taken down for casing and travel.
There is a very skilled ml gunsmith in Missouri who resurrects old barrels into fine, usable, shotguns. Many of those old barrels are worth saving, IMHO.

With respect, while that is true for early double breech loading guns/barrels, it wasn't common on ML double barrels until one got into the really high status sets.

Gus

You will find that most double barrelled and single barrel muzzle loaders shotgun bores are in better condition and the early pinfire and breech loading shotguns for pitting.
Feltwad

thanks everybody, for the help. I didn't realize how many things could potentially be wrong with a double barrel . I'm probably gonna stay away from anything on the internet( I would trust forum members though)

I have bought more than my share of junk/parts guns. I like to take barrels off a double, hold the hooked breech end and tap the end of the barrels. Loose solder rib/barrels have a dead thud. Good solid solder joint has a ring like a bell. I plug nipples and fill barrels with evaporust for a few days and then clean. It removes all rust even rust scale in pitted areas to the bare metal. I have had some badly pitted damascus weep through the side as evaporust removed the rust scale from pitting. Over the years I have resoldered barrels, lined barrels, even replaced some. Being retired and not in a hurry, doing the work for myself it is a hobby. Having the ability to machine, weld, solder, etc in my shop helps. For me the metal part is more forgiving than the wood. I'm not good with wood. Sometimes even bad barrels can be saved by lining to a smaller gauge.

Back