• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Old barrel i just bought

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this will amount to anything but picked up this barrel at the flea market . It appears to be an original but I know nothing about it . Guessing I'd say an old cut down military barrel from the 1850s or 1860s that has been used in a few different applications .... If useable , I'll clean it up and rebreech it if I reuse it , I'd like to make a , drum roll plz ..... a N.W. Trade gun out of it :) We'll see , might just turn into a tomatoe stake , never know ... I did find number stamps and a possible but indiscernible proof mark on bottom at breech ...love to know how it started out its life , once again ....we'll see ....Interesting ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_181633.jpg
    IMG_20230526_181633.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230526_181654.jpg
    IMG_20230526_181654.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230526_181717.jpg
    IMG_20230526_181717.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230526_181711.jpg
    IMG_20230526_181711.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230526_181614.jpg
    IMG_20230526_181614.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Ok ...its a barrel from an Austrian Lorenz rifled musket ..I've been reaming it out with sand paper and the rifling is gone but you can just make out the spirals from the " used to be there " rifling . Its the original length too , I thought it looks a bit short and had been cut down but ...nope . So ...its probably an early model but , who knows ... So.made in the 1857- 1862 era . kind neat ... :) I'll be cleaning out the bore to see if it can be used to make a N.W. gun in the future , it has some rust pockets in there ... Then cut the breech off and re thread it for a traditional flintlock style breech BUT ....not anyti.e soon .Have lots of other work to do . Pretty neat. :)

Not sure if this will amount to anything but picked up this barrel at the flea market . It appears to be an original but I know nothing about it . Guessing I'd say an old cut down military barrel from the 1850s or 1860s that has been used in a few different applications .... If useable , I'll clean it up and rebreech it if I reuse it , I'd like to make a , drum roll plz ..... a N.W. Trade gun out of it :) We'll see , might just turn into a tomatoe stake , never know ... I did find number stamps and a possible but indiscernible proof mark on bottom at breech ...love to know how it started out its life , once again ....we'll see ....Interesting ....
Nice find.

Some old things can be restored and/or repurposed. Not every hunk of rusty iron is a restored muzzle loader in the making.
I have one old barrel that is going to become a hand railing for a short flight of steps. On the other hand it might go to Tallpine to become a short sword or large combat knife.

Ok ...its a barrel from an Austrian Lorenz rifled musket ..I've been reaming it out with sand paper and the rifling is gone but you can just make out the spirals from the " used to be there " rifling . Its the original length too , I thought it looks a bit short and had been cut down but ...nope . So ...its probably an early model but , who knows ... So.made in the 1857- 1862 era . kind neat ... :) I'll be cleaning out the bore to see if it can be used to make a N.W. gun in the future , it has some rust pockets in there ... Then cut the breech off and re thread it for a traditional flintlock style breech BUT ....not anyti.e soon .Have lots of other work to do . Pretty neat. :)
Those were good muskets. Very nice find!

Just the breech off . Soft 160 yr. old iron is weird sawing through .Iron sure is nice to cut and file ! Man , that bore ain't no where near centered ! LOL... There are a few pitch pockets in the bore so still not sure if I can make anything out of this barrel but we'll see ... Be SO cool If I could make a NW gun outta this baby ! Gonna make an authentic Civil War charm necklace outta this breech ! $400 ! LMAO !! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_110120.jpg
    IMG_20230531_110120.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230531_105535.jpg
    IMG_20230531_105535.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
When I bought that antique .62 smooth barrel, I was such a gun building rookie that it never occurred to me to chop off the old breech/plug.

That's why a fashioned a tang out of angle iron and secured it to the existing plug with screws.

Looking back, I wish I had done what you just did.

When I bought that antique .62 smooth barrel, I was such a gun building rookie that it never occurred to me to chop off the old breech/plug.

That's why a fashioned a tang out of angle iron and secured it to the existing plug with screws.

Looking back, I wish I had done what you just did.
Huh, thats interesting ...like to see that . This ole breech has had a hard way to go , fightin a war and then huntin for another 100+ years ... Good thing its goin and flat breech flintlock on its way ! :)

Back