• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Barn Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskinn

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have this old shotgun that is beyond rough shape, has been sitting in corners of my parents and now mine for as long as I've been alive. There are a few markings on barrel that I have no idea what they mean. All I want to do is clean it up, piece it together and hang it in my office. Where if any place can I get parts for it? I'm guessing I would need more info on it to actually order the correct parts, but figured I'd ask. Been in my family for generations. My middle name (Hollister) came from the family of the guy who owned it, Hollis Hollister. As the story goes, he shot off his 2 middle fingers with the thing. Guess he didn't swab between shots...

Needs a wedge, main spring for lock, hammer screw and some sort of through lock bolt/nut for lock. It's also missing one nipple and the other is really bad, but don't really need them.
20190503_121250.jpg

20190503_121320.jpg

20190503_121330.jpg

20190503_123020.jpg

Thanks for any direction you can point me!

I honestly would look at Track of the Wolf and see if they could help you. Unless you restock it it’s always gonna look pretty rough. I’d just hang it and be happy with it myself.
I have an old Harpers Ferry that is in very rough shape, I’ve thought long and hard about doing the same as what your wanting to do... but I just hang it and leave it in “as is” condition.

That is my plan, at the moment it will not stay together without at least the wedge and lock bolt. I'm sure I'd be able to make something work, but it would be nice to be able to cock both locks, so the mainspring would be needed.

Well, it's Belgian, see the 'ELG' on the breech? And it's marked '13' - near enough to 12 gauge. Finding parts for that old stager is going to be almost impossible. Guns like this were made by the tens of thousands for the local town hardware stores to sell for $5, or Sears for even less. Sure, try TOTW, or better yet, Dixie Gun Works in Union City TN.

Man for some reason I always forget about Dixie Gun Works... good suggestion.
One could also take it to a competent gunsmith and have him make some of the parts, or modify others to fit. I see what your saying about wanting to keep it together.. prolly look nicer on the wall in one peice.. ;)

I don't doubt that, there isn't anything interesting about the gun other than it's history.

I think I found the lock, a Back Action made by L&R and looks like they have parts. I have an email into L&R to see if it's a match. Too bad I'm going to have to pay about 10x what the gun cost new to put it together...

If you want to go a little further, you could make a splice and replace that missing wood, and of course then re-finish it.

You could easily make a wedge key for that gun. Take a small piece of rectangular bar, pinch it in a vice, heat up one end red, then tap it flat with a small hammer. Let cool and take a file to it to dress it up, then brown the steel to make it match. Probably would cost you nothing or next to nothing to make.

Well, turns out they don't make back actions like they used to... Spring and bolts will not fit my locks. So I cobbled best I could, lightly sanded, stained and finished. Made a quick ram rod and put it together. Turned out pretty good for intended purpose. Although it will never have another opportunity again to blow any ones fingers off...
20190509_202600.jpg

Well, turns out they don't make back actions like they used to... Spring and bolts will not fit my locks. So I cobbled best I could, lightly sanded, stained and finished. Made a quick ram rod and put it together. Turned out pretty good for intended purpose. Although it will never have another opportunity again to blow any ones fingers off...View attachment 9647
At any rate, it looks good hangin' on the wall. I think it looks quite well there. I have an old rusty bb gun that I cleaned up and it hangs on my mantle above the fire place.

Back