• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Old Ax Head

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Interesting old bearded ax head. Forged iron. Measures 6" wide with a 7" long blade. Has two stamps on the blade that I can't make out. Thought I could sharpen it (still has an old edge), make a handle, and have a sort of period camp ax. :haha:
What's unusual, is that the blade and eye socket are not centered - intentionally. :hmm: Makes me think this blade was made for a specific purpose.
Any of you guys have a guess? Thanks for looking. Rick. :hatsoff:

My guess for it's use is to debark logs or to square the logs for lumber/framing. With it's shape, this would make it possible to not bite into the log so much....??

It is a form of broad axe, and as Flint suggested, its use is for hewing logs square. The wide thin blade is designed to remove the portion of logs that a sawmill today would call 'slab' wood.
It is a neat axe but will not make a very good camp axe as the thin blade is not designed to split heavy sections of wood & is easy to get wedged in real tight if that use is attempted. Great tool for timber framing. Good find!

Nope. :wink: Very different. See Gilkerson's "Boarders Away" vol 1 for good illustrations of boarding axes. "Indian Tomahawks & Frontiersmen Belt Axes" by Hartzler & Knowles also shows (in addition to the title subjects) boarding axes but leaves out framing & carpenter tools.

It is a carpenters axe. This type of axe was used for hewing a board to desired shape and thickness. It is said old timers used to laugh at the the young men who used saws to bring projects to final shape and thickness. Just one man's free opinion and no doubt worth twice the price.

I remain your humble servant,

Just Dave

It is a broad axe, for squaring timbers. European, "GermanIC" in form, if not actually German. Date? Who knows. Probably not as old as you might want to think. :wink:

Not only is the hole for the handle offset the handle would be to, at least it was on the broad ax I saw.

Gentlemen: Thank you ALL for your comments. It seems we now know what this ax was used for. I thought that with the shape of the eye and the off set, it was made for a specific purpose. But I would not have guessed. Thanks.
Coot: You're right. This would not make a good camp ax for the reasons you suggested. :( Oh well. I guess this one will be left alone as a display piece. :haha:
Stophel: You're right. Many items are never quite as old as we would wish them.
Again, thank you all. At least we were able to identify it's use. Looks like it's also been used for a hammer quite often. :haha:
Rick. :hatsoff:

Thanks Cliff! for the Link. Most interesting. And I thought that this was going to be a challenge to identify. :haha: Rick. :hatsoff:

I have never used a broad ax myself but watched a guy turn 4 foot logs in to 6x4 by 4 foot timbers in 15 min apiece. I have seen a lot of hand hewn that was fairly rough, but some that was as smooth as an adz could get them. We still have some amish in the area that 'can hew to the mark'

I think Black Dave is correct and the tool is called a carpenter's pattern hatchet. It was used to quickly rough out shapes (like a cabriole leg for chairs and tables) on furniture that could not be sawn. A spoke shave was then used to smooth it out.

Just hate you see you lose some money. You can buy a cheap $5 hatchet at harbor freight tools and with a hack saw and some files- reshape the head- I've done a lot and they work fine.

Latest posts

Back