• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old age no fun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I found out yesterday that my Virginia fowler has become too heavy for me, I have cut the barrel down to 36 in. last year to help reduce the weight. It seems to me that todays barrels are very heavy compared to originals I have seen. I don't want to shorten the barrel any more. Most of the work will have to be done by myself as I am on a fixed income. Any suggestions on how I can reduce the weight of the barrel, without sacrificing safety. It has a large Siler round face lock, and iron furniture. I have been saving to get a Tulle style stock from one of the stock makers. I would like to create a New England style fowler to come in a less than 7 lbs. . Me and my back say thanks for any help we get.

Dear Bud in PA I Can but sympathize. The hills are getting steeper, the guns are gaining weight, All very familiar. Perhaps a North Star barrel in 12 bore they where light.? And for the rest go for as light a set of mounts as you can find , might kick a bit but should handle like a wand . Regards Rudyard

Indeed, like many most things seem heavier and distances seem further than they used to be. But my advice is don't change your fowler. Although it exposes my hypocrisy, somewhat but my antique 1840"s brass scope offsets my fading eyesight. So, my friend just start earlier, rest more often and don't cut on your gun..

First of all, what caliber is it? The best way to keep everything else the same, is to have it bored bigger. Best weight loss, and you don't have to repair your stock.
Bobby Hoyt will do it for around $100.

Not sure what you have now and why it’s heavy. Are you looking for a new gun or making this lighter?

Not sure what you have now and why it’s heavy. Are you looking for a new gun or making this lighter?
I would like to get below 7 lbs. .I have been thinking of using my belt sander on the octagon flats. It would involve using the belt sander, a clock with a sweep second hand, and a micrometer.

Removing a quarter pound of steel is more work than I could imagine. Buy a lighter gun is my advice.

Time to start planning for the future. And giving a back room haircut to your Virgina Fowler isn’t, at least in my opinion, a good plan.

Totally different animal, but my Pedersoli 12 gauge double tips the scales at 5.8 pounds empty. Lighter guns are out there. May not be ideal or what you want, but if it keeps you in the game..... If and when my Pedersoli becomes too much to carry, guess I’ll need a gun bearer or have to call it a day. Hopefully, a long way out there.

I just finished a .62 caliber "barn gun" with a 42" barrel that weighs a tad over 5 1/2 lbs.
Rice barrel, Chambers lock, curly maple stuck.

You could drill some lightening holes in to the stock under the butt plate. That will move the balance point forward though.

Removing metal in the form of enlarging the caliber will remove more weight though.

You could drill some lightening holes in to the stock under the butt plate. That will move the balance point forward though.

Removing metal in the form of enlarging the caliber will remove more weight though.
Got to remove a lot of wood to remove significant weight. Plus the weight reduction will cause the gun to beat you up a bit more. Another concern as we age.

While I still can, working on loads for my Pedersoli 12 double that may be equivalent to 22 rim fire rat shot loads. Some may laugh, but as long as I can put the gun to my shoulder, I will have a load I can shoot.

AAF29E76-0331-4764-9E1A-2F7FB8E0EEC1.jpeg

Just returned from the PA early BP season. The hills got steeper and the gun a little heavier but what great fun just being in the fall woods. At 71 I would hope for more fall seasons not to mention the special Flintlock season in late December. Think Young

remember that old age isn't for sissies!! but the rely good part of it is - that it doesn't last long!!!

I am a short time from 70, I've had two open heart surgeries and have an ICD implant I hunt with a group of guys all over 70 and we call it a special needs hunting camp. One guy is missing a leg another is doing chemo another just had spinal surgery. No whining, plenty of bitching and a great time had by all. We hunt flint, smoothbore only to give us plenty of reasons why we missed. We always get deer and plan on keeping it up 'till we are all gone with the other guys that have left our club for the other hunting grounds. No more whining suck it up and have some fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back