• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ol' Jeremiah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenngun said:
Liver is were most of the bad stuff goes that we eat, would not care to chance it :wink:
The liver's job is to process toxins/compounds/chemicals in the things we eat or drink (medications, alcohol, etc.), making clotting factors and a number of other essential functions.

The Greeks called poison and medicIn the same word. Pharma. It's where we get pharmacology from. Most stuff we take to help us are poisons. However plants have been making alkaloids to kill anything that ate that plant for about a billion years. Animals have been making enzymes to break down those alkaloids just about as long. Liver is the power house for that.
Most poisons that will kill do so by dystroying the liver. There are some fast poisons like cyinide, and some that toast kidneys, some that burn tissue it touches, go to the liver and hide there until the liver is dystroed. As the liver does so many other jobs often the first sign of a poisoned person is bruising and nose bleeds when the coagulation factors start getting out of balanced, or the jaundice look when the liver stops clearing bilirubin.
I would not want to eat the liver of a poisoned animal as it would likely be home to a big store of the poison that killed it.

But the legend says Ol LE Johnston ate the livers of the Crow he killed, and that he killed some of them with poisoned biscuits....I guess those poisoned livers didn't kill him because he is officially classified as a Hero, 'eh? Had to continue with the insultin', didn't he? :confused:

I know, I know, you aren't allowed to question these things, but I just cant hep m'self. :wink:

I watched Jeremiah again last night, still a very good movie, and he only ate jerky, Swan's veggie cakes, beaver, rabbit, grouse/quail, biscuits without poison and a chunk of something smoked in Bear Claw's cabin. Wimp.

Spence

Black Hand said:
tenngun said:
Liver is were most of the bad stuff goes that we eat, would not care to chance it :wink:
The liver's job is to process toxins/compounds/chemicals in the things we eat or drink (medications, alcohol, etc.), making clotting factors and a number of other essential functions.

All I know is its good! I know to avoid bear liver but deer, elk, antelope and bighorn liver (cooked of coarse)is delicious! Not quite as good as the heart but I like it. If a liver had obvious discoloration or spots (a sign of tularemia in rabbits) I'd avoid it.

Black Hand said:
Polar Bear liver is the one (of a few) to avoid due to its toxicity, though other liver can cause problems if eaten in large amounts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A[/quote]

Black bear too. Not sure about grizzly not that I'll ever be after one.

I don't think I eat large amounts. Normally I'll eat 1-2 deer livers over the course of a year. Each liver making several meals. So far no issues I'm aware of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew that he was buried in Cody Wyoming, but didn't know all of the details behind it. That is way cool Cowboy! Thanks for sharing.

Marc Adamchek said:
He becomes an investment banker on Wall Street.

(reply to bubba.50's original post question)

After being hunted by the Crow, who come for him one at a time, he runs into Del Gue. Del has grown his hair back, having made the decision that he wants to leave something behind when he departs from this world -- even if it's just on someone's lodgepole. Del suggests that Jeremiah go down into the town, but Jeremiah says that he's already done that. After being wounded in his side by another Crow's lance, he moves on, ending up at the Crazy Woman's house. She is dead, and the house is now being lived in by a settler and his family. In the yard, Jeremiah sees what looks like his grave, but the settler says that it's more like a monument to him. Indians come during the night, never being seen, but he knows they've been there by the new items like feathers or bits of bone that weren't there the day before. Jeremiah warns the settler that hiding his wife and kids in the corn crib won't stop the Indians. Then he moves on again. He meets up with Bear Claw who tells him that an avalanche took his cabin, so he has moved higher in the mountains in order to hunt for griz. Bear Claw congratulates Jeremiah for keeping his hair when so many are after it. In the final scene, Jeremiah is riding his horse through a snowstorm. He comes upon yet another lone Crow. As he reaches for his gun, he sees that it is Paints His Shirt Red. Instead of pulling out his gun, Paints His Shirt Red holds out his arm, his palm turned to face Jeremiah. Jeremiah does the same. They both ride on.

colorado clyde said:
After being hunted by the Crow, who come for him one at a time, he runs into Del Gue. Del has grown his hair back, having made the decision that he wants to leave something behind when he departs from this world -- even if it's just on someone's lodgepole. Del suggests that Jeremiah go down into the town, but Jeremiah says that he's already done that. After being wounded in his side by another Crow's lance, he moves on, ending up at the Crazy Woman's house. She is dead, and the house is now being lived in by a settler and his family. In the yard, Jeremiah sees what looks like his grave, but the settler says that it's more like a monument to him. Indians come during the night, never being seen, but he knows they've been there by the new items like feathers or bits of bone that weren't there the day before. Jeremiah warns the settler that hiding his wife and kids in the corn crib won't stop the Indians. Then he moves on again. He meets up with Bear Claw who tells him that an avalanche took his cabin, so he has moved higher in the mountains in order to hunt for griz. Bear Claw congratulates Jeremiah for keeping his hair when so many are after it. In the final scene, Jeremiah is riding his horse through a snowstorm. He comes upon yet another lone Crow. As he reaches for his gun, he sees that it is Paints His Shirt Red. Instead of pulling out his gun, Paints His Shirt Red holds out his arm, his palm turned to face Jeremiah. Jeremiah does the same. They both ride on.
We don't actually see them "ride on" (in the movie), leaving us to speculate.

[youtube]_lsZE8MpQZI[/youtube]

I saw JJ at the movies as a young fellow and after reading this thread bought the Bluray and watched again last night. Despite my almost saturated cynicism and rejuvenated interest in history and ML , it was a fine movie, I was entertained and accepting of the sometimes stretched 'reality'. Thank you all for diversity of your reviews,

Watched it only 40 times, definitely a rookie. Named my first son Jeremiah as a result of the movie and bought my first smoke pole, a TC Hawken shortly after it came out.

Back