• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ok you 40 caliber shooters.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I hate to say what I'm thinking about this barrel. Won't mention manufacture. So it's a 40 cal round bottom rifling which I am thinking that's where the problem is buti hope not. One thing I didn't like was having to hit the ball starter with some force. The balls are 396 and patches.016.
I believe a smaller ball maybe
390 and a .018 or .020 patch would be better. Does that sound logical?
So what powder charge and ball and patch do you get accuracy from your 40 cal?
Thankyou very much.
I'm going to start changing one thing at a time to see what I can come up with.
SORRY SUPPOSE TO SAY 40 ABOVE NOT 50

Last edited:
That is part of the ml game. We are dealing with olde timey guns. There were no standards and, even today, not many. Calling it a .40 caliber is just a sorta catch-all for something close to that. It could be .38 cal. or even a .41 or .42. Do try other size balls, a .390" is likely to work for you. Let us know.

Let's back up, what it the problem? Are you not getting good groups? If not, start with the patches, what do they look like? Put a tarp about 15 steps in front of the barrel and collect them, if you can use them again, good, if not, you have other problems...This can range from the crown in the barrel, to prelubed patches that have brokened down, etc...

Also, are you using real black powder. Or 777??? 777 shoots hotter and can burn through patches, ruining accuracy...

My .40 is a Rayle, I use .390 balls and a .018 pillow ticked patch lubed with SnoSeal or Moose Snot...For squirrels, I use 30grs FFF Goex...I have shot up to 60grs FFF Goex...

Tom, where can I get a .380 lead ball,s. I would like to get 390 balls also.Ive git diff thickness patches. Real black powder. Couldn't find patches today. Wasn't prepared and shooting in a soggy cornfield harvested.
I will get back out there and report back.

I hate to say what I'm thinking about this barrel. Won't mention manufacture. So it's a 50 cal round bottom rifling which I am thinking that's where the problem is buti hope not. One thing I didn't like was having to hit the ball starter with some force. The balls are 396 and patches.016.
Thankyou very much.
Round bottom rifling is good, but usually takes a thicker patch as the grooves are deeper to the bottom of the curve.
So you hit it hard! How did it ram home with the rod? If you have to hammer it down with the rod, then that is another issue. Most important: Are you getting a good group? Go for group before you go for comfort loading. All my guns take a good whomp with my hand on the starter. Keep your focus on results!
Larry

I hate to say what I'm thinking about this barrel. Won't mention manufacture. So it's a 50 cal round bottom rifling which I am thinking that's where the problem is buti hope not. One thing I didn't like was having to hit the ball starter with some force. The balls are 396 and patches.016.
Thankyou very much.
You just have problems, not many people shoot a .396 prb from a 50 cal n its very accurate. So i figure a .490 prb will do better for you

Tom, where can I get a .380 lead ball,s. I would like to get 390 balls also.Ive git diff thickness patches. Real black powder. Couldn't find patches today. Wasn't prepared and shooting in a soggy cornfield harvested.
I will get back out there and report back.
Hornady makes em. Swaged. Lots of folks use em in their cap and ball as an oversized ball. Cast yourself, flintlock inc, dixie, totw, log cabin, eddie may. 380, 390, 395 are very common sizes and readily available many places. Have fun searching for best prices as they are avwilable. Some folks on here use 375 in the 40 with a THICK patch.

Lee makes a nice .380 roundball if you are interested in casting your own. If you want a scissors type bag mold, Larry Callahan makes a great mold. You might do a search for a .380 mold, one might pop up on FleaBay. I shoot a .395 ball and a 10 thou's patch. Nicely accurate out to 50 yards with 65 grains of 3F.
Ohio Rusty ><>

The tight ball and patch combinations used today were not used in the old days: these are the product of Friendship competitors years ago.

Folks always go right to the thick patch but I would suggest using the thinnest patch you can get away with, even with rounded grooves. For your rifle I'd start with a .390 ball and .010 patch, 40 gr fffg out to 50 yards and see how it goes.

This load works EOL foe me. Depending on the humidity level, I can get 6-12 accurate shots without swabbing.
1A01ADE7-5EEF-4B37-B0DF-9D2C9ADB6472.jpegE1572014-9C5B-4B66-AB5A-20D9F94F0FCE.jpeg

Back