• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

OK. Stupid Question Time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can anybody dry ball a gun smoothbore or rifle, for armature there maybe some excuse but for the experience shot no it is the lack of concentration by mostly talking and should never happen.
Feltwad🙄

I’ve actually used a “ball puller” on more than one occasion. A bore guide if available helps center the screw on the projectile and generous application of oil down the bore to lubricate.

If you know someone who works at a repair shop, see if he can let you use the air compressor. you need full line pressure and a blow gun with a rubber tip. Point the muzzle in a safe direction, push the tip into the nipple hole and hit the lever. should pop the ball out (and any powder) and throw it a good distance. I'd maybe shoot a bit of WD40 down bore and let it soak in for a while before trying this.

How can anybody dry ball a gun smoothbore or rifle, for armature there maybe some excuse but for the experience shot no it is the lack of concentration by mostly talking and should never happen.
Feltwad🙄

There's an old saying among us older folks about that, Sir.

There are three kinds of muzzleloaders -

1. Those who have dry-balled.

2. Those who have yet to do it.

3. And those less familiar with the truth.

Feltwad🙄
I agree that if one is applying a good consistent procedure, that one should not dry ball a load. I try to have a physical procedure that relies on physical observation even if I am distracted. My first step is to wipe the bore watching for smoke to come out of the touch hole or nipple to verify that the flash channel is clear. Then I go to the spotting scope to look at the target. If I am at a woods walk or hunting and spotting scopes aren't there, then I measure the next charge and pour the charge down the barrel. I lift up the rifle and slap the breech to settle powder into the flash channel. I set the rifle down if I am at the bench and I will insert my funnel into the muzzle to indicate there is powder loaded. Only after I have dampened my patch material and picked up the ball do I remove the funnel. I finish loading and prepare to go to the firing line.

I still see and if there is high humidity causing a fouling sludge to build up at the breech, even an experienced shooter can have a failure to fire that just doesn't allow the usual practices to clear the load. If an experienced shooter is helping another shooter, one can get distracted and forget to load the powder. I have been at the range, ready to load powder, when the range is called to be closed and loading is stopped, but I have the funnel in the muzzle. If I don't see a measure filled with powder, I may dampen the end of the loading jag and lower it to the breech. Powder will stick to the jag so a load can be verified or the marked rod goes to a position indicating a load.

Dry balling a load can happen to even very experienced shooters. Admitting that dry balling a load can happen is something that we should all be mindful of. It teaches us to concentrate on the loading procedure and on basic safety practices.

Got a .54 TC Hawken and like so many I am seeing had been dry balled and put away for who knows how long. Was planning to shoot it out when I discovered it had a musket nipple. manure! Was able to get it out, but don't have a compatible nipple in hand. Stupid Question: Has anyone tried to shoot out a ball cannon style? By that I mean, get as much powder behind the ball, in the snail and in the nipple, and set off with a long match? Would strap it down and stand back, knowing there will be a fire geyser. Is this like Bad Idea Jeans? FYI. Nipples ordered, but I am bored today. :D
Without the nipple, you might just get a fiz and not a boom. Might try with the musket nipple installed and some black powder inside the nipple. There are tools available that allow you to put a screw into the ball and pull it out that way without a boom.

Got a .54 TC Hawken and like so many I am seeing had been dry balled and put away for who knows how long. Was planning to shoot it out when I discovered it had a musket nipple. manure! Was able to get it out, but don't have a compatible nipple in hand. Stupid Question: Has anyone tried to shoot out a ball cannon style? By that I mean, get as much powder behind the ball, in the snail and in the nipple, and set off with a long match? Would strap it down and stand back, knowing there will be a fire geyser. Is this like Bad Idea Jeans? FYI. Nipples ordered, but I am bored today. :D
I don't know what will happen, but I don't think it would hurt anything. Sounds like a worthwhile experiment. Blast on! Oh, and let us know what happens...

If that does not work put a steel ramrod in it and attach it to the roof. Lightning will strike it and melt the ball.

Back