• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OK. Stupid Question Time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would put as much powder behind the ball as possible, put the musket nipple back on and then put some ffff in the musket nipple and light that. It should just act like a matchlock with a flash hole to keep the pressure up in the barrel. Just a thought.

My mainspring broke in my flintlock Mortimer last year with a load in the barrel (not a dry ball). I used a lit cigarette to touch off the powder in the pan. Scared the manure outta me and burned all the hair off my hand. It worked but I wouldn’t recommend it without a heavy welders glove on. Not sure how it would work out with a percussion gun other than there is gonna be a flamethrower blowing out of your drum with the nipple removed.
I’m glad you’re still with us I would have paid to see that

🤗🤗🤗😃😃😃😃

Got a .54 TC Hawken and like so many I am seeing had been dry balled and put away for who knows how long. Was planning to shoot it out when I discovered it had a musket nipple. manure! Was able to get it out, but don't have a compatible nipple in hand. Stupid Question: Has anyone tried to shoot out a ball cannon style? By that I mean, get as much powder behind the ball, in the snail and in the nipple, and set off with a long match? Would strap it down and stand back, knowing there will be a fire geyser. Is this like Bad Idea Jeans? FYI. Nipples ordered, but I am bored today. :D
You said you took the nipple out! Were you going to put it back in?
You are thinking too hard! Just pull the ball with a ball puller. Don't have one, then get one. You will always need on for your friends that shoot muzzleloaders😂. No nipple, no bang as the pressure will all release at the breech end.
Larry

Got a .54 TC Hawken and like so many I am seeing had been dry balled and put away for who knows how long. Was planning to shoot it out when I discovered it had a musket nipple. manure! Was able to get it out, but don't have a compatible nipple in hand. Stupid Question: Has anyone tried to shoot out a ball cannon style? By that I mean, get as much powder behind the ball, in the snail and in the nipple, and set off with a long match? Would strap it down and stand back, knowing there will be a fire geyser. Is this like Bad Idea Jeans? FYI. Nipples ordered, but I am bored today. :D
Heck, I'd do it in a minute. Just common sense. Have fun, y'all.

Cannon fuse, everybody has some, right?Firecracker or M80 fuse,.................. get the idea?

Uh, nope.

Guess you live in an explosive kind of neighbourhood. I live in a little village in the rural heart of a mostly agricultural county in the East of England. I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to get any of those things.

We don't even HAVE a corner shop - that's in the next village.

Remove the hammer insert cap, smack with a ball peen.

or use heavy rubber bands and tape o r s screen door spring and duct tape.

ot a .54 TC Hawken and like so many I am seeing had been dry balled and put away for who knows how long. Was planning to shoot it out when I discovered it had a musket nipple. manure! Was able to get it out, but don't have a compatible nipple in hand. Stupid Question: Has anyone tried to shoot out a ball cannon style? By that I mean, get as much powder behind the ball, in the snail and in the nipple, and set off with a long match? Would strap it down and stand back, knowing there will be a fire geyser. Is this like Bad Idea Jeans? FYI. Nipples ordered, but I am bored today.
Have done that before. Using 4f, get enough behind the ball screw the nipple back in and work some 4f down the nipple hole then use a long kitchen match to light the fire. If by chance the ball dose not come all the way out but moves up the barrel you can get more powder behind it and reseat the ball and 4f down the nipple again. 20 grains is enough, the key is having 4f on hand to do this with. Unless you like a greasy mess...

Why don't you just buy some musket percussion caps? I can use #11's or musket caps on my Hawken, just switch the nipple.

I have never failed to get a dry ball out using compressed air. Get a tubeless tire valve and press it hard over the nipple and apply the air. If the ball has been down for a while, run some lubes down to get the patch slippery. No mess to clean up afterward. You can also make an adaptor:
1630366299352.jpeg

like the grease gun idea, got a couple of cyliders for my '58's that need attention. I do not like using the bullet puller.

Google Newton's third law of motion.
For every action there must be an equal and opposite reaction.
Which breaks down to you'll have a mini flame thrower if you light a fuse in the bolster. That's the reason the nipple has that tiny hole... to keep from burning your eyebrows off when you touch her off.
Get a musket cap, a #11 nipple, or a grease zerk and gun.

Latest posts

Back