• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OK. Stupid Question Time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a .54 TC Hawken and like so many I am seeing had been dry balled and put away for who knows how long. Was planning to shoot it out when I discovered it had a musket nipple. manure! Was able to get it out, but don't have a compatible nipple in hand. Stupid Question: Has anyone tried to shoot out a ball cannon style? By that I mean, get as much powder behind the ball, in the snail and in the nipple, and set off with a long match? Would strap it down and stand back, knowing there will be a fire geyser. Is this like Bad Idea Jeans? FYI. Nipples ordered, but I am bored today. :D

I wouldn't advise trying to hit the nipple hole with an incendiary round from one of your other muzzle loaders from a safe distance but that's just me.
Got 911 on speed dial?

I’ve dry balled a couple times and I’ve bought muzzleloaders with an unknown load in them. I went to the hardware store and bought a pack of assorted grease zerks. There will be one that fits the gun. All it takes is a few strokes of a grease gun and the load comes safely and easily out. Of course you have to clean the grease out of the barrel but it ain’t that hard. Just a little messy.

This is the safest method I’ve found to remove unknown loads or obstructions. Also, it doesn’t matter where the obstruction is in the barrel.

I warned @Idaho Ron that in less than 6 months his excellent video would be overlooked. In the General Muzzleloading Forum, there is a thread titled "I Have a Stuck Ball". In the video, Idaho Ron takes a barrel in roughly the same condition as yours and easily removes the stuck ball with the use of the zerk fitting and his grease gun.

@BigSkyRambler,
Since that ball has been in the barrel for such a long time, co sider using g the grease gun.

My mainspring broke in my flintlock Mortimer last year with a load in the barrel (not a dry ball). I used a lit cigarette to touch off the powder in the pan. Scared the manure outta me and burned all the hair off my hand. It worked but I wouldn’t recommend it without a heavy welders glove on. Not sure how it would work out with a percussion gun other than there is gonna be a flamethrower blowing out of your drum with the nipple removed.

Plews 05-045 or simulay pointed needle nozzle fitting (zerk) is what I use, hold it against the nipple, treaded hole or against a touch-hole while someone operates the frease gun. Works wonders, Dump a little oil or tranny fluid down the bore to lube it and the patch as well.

My mainspring broke in my flintlock Mortimer last year with a load in the barrel (not a dry ball). I used a lit cigarette to touch off the powder in the pan. Scared the manure outta me and burned all the hair off my hand. It worked but I wouldn’t recommend it without a heavy welders glove on. Not sure how it would work out with a percussion gun other than there is gonna be a flamethrower blowing out of your drum with the nipple removed.

Next time use a rubber band for a temporary main spring and save your hair.

A new nipple is a 3-Day Priority Mail trip away :)

If you are sure theres no powder in there just use the #11 nipple with a few grains of powder in the bolster, and bloop it out. I've done this many times.

I'm planning on grease zerking a stuck bullet out of my .69 Pedersoli musket but I'm letting it soak with Hoppes for a few days in an attempt to maybe pull it

I wouldn't try to match lock it out, probably just a waste of your time.

I warned @Idaho Ron that in less than 6 months his excellent video would be overlooked. In the General Muzzleloading Forum, there is a thread titled "I Have a Stuck Ball". In the video, Idaho Ron takes a barrel in roughly the same condition as yours and easily removes the stuck ball with the use of the zerk fitting and his grease gun.

@BigSkyRambler,
Since that ball has been in the barrel for such a long time, co sider using g the grease gun.

You called it

Back