• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

OK so what am I missing here ? Famous maker ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNBandit

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am floored by the hammer price on this broken antique rifle. Auction estimate was $75-$150. Ended up selling for 10k, What's the deal ? EARLY 19TH C. KENTUCKY STYLE MUSKET OCTAGONAL - Jan 15, 2022 | Turkey Creek Auctions in FL
Screenshot from 2022-01-16 05-03-49.png

Its a fine rifle. I looked at the listing. It is signed, was originally flint, had a wooden patchbox, and really splendid carving behind the cheek piece. I am not a collector and dont have that kind of cash. It is amazing if it really brought that much at auction.
James

It’s by Joel Ferree. Nothing as early as this of his has survived. He was an important maker but only 3-5 guns survived as far as I know. So, early, Revolutionary War era, important maker, not faked up, as found. We may think it’s out of hand but for the big collectors, a new, early, signed rifle by an important maker whose work is scarce = a high price. Everybody who studies early PA rifles will think this is a very important gun.

It’s by Joel Ferree. Nothing as early as this of his has survived. He was an important maker but only 3-5 guns survived as far as I know. So, early, Revolutionary War era, important maker, not faked up, as found. We may think it’s out of hand but for the big collectors, a new, early, signed rifle by an important maker whose work is scarce = a high price. Everybody who studies early PA rifles will think this is a very important gun.
Now it makes sense. Thank you

Now I can see the signature! Yes what an awesome piece of America. Joel and Jacob Ferree of Paradise\ Strasburg area of Lanc. Co. right? I had the privilege of handling a Ferree rifle. One of the two was killed by Indians if I'm not mistaken. Both brothers were gun makers. Am I correct Rich? Any more info on this piece??
James

10k is a lot of cash for me but it's just pocket change for a lot of collectors.
Yeah for me too. I'm gonna tell you right now though. If I had the funds id spend that in a heartbeat on this rifle. Its an American Treasure. Besides its close to home and in I know where the homestead is they were raised and lived. Something deep to me. Cash is just that. Cash.
James

Yeah for me too. I'm gonna tell you right now though. If I had the funds id spend that in a heartbeat on this rifle. Its an American Treasure. Besides its close to home and in I know where the homestead is they were raised and lived. Something deep to me. Cash is just that. Cash.
James
And the buyers premium is 25% for this auction company!

I wonder if the seller knew what they had or if they're still recovering from a heart attack at the hammer price.

Is that a screw holding the rear trigger guard tang?

Attachments

• screw.JPG
    screw.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 71
Back