• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OK, I just did it, bought my first flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a Lyman Trade Rifle in 50 cal (percussion) to hunt deer for years. It will make you a fine rifle.

Welcome to the dark side of shooting. A percussion muzzleloader is just a mechanical device, but a flintlock has "soul".

Others have answered most of your questions already. But none address the flinch issue. My advice is: don't fret over it. After a few shots you won't even notice the rifle going off. Concentrate on the target and trigger. The rest will just happen. You will be walking towards yer ded deer before you realize the gun went off. The only way it is such a big deal is it is so much fun to shoot flint.
i got my first flinter about 1977. Had a few cap guns since but never liked them as much. Pretty quick you won’t even notice it flashing. You concentrate on the target, light trigger touch till ... shots off, puff, the flash just blends in from the smoke at the other end.

Welcome to the dark side of shooting. A percussion muzzleloader is just a mechanical device, but a flintlock has "soul".

You put soul into any rifle if you shoot it enough or build it. I believe soul cannot be purchased. None is automatic to any type of gun, and this includes centerfire, rimfire, and ML rifles.

IMG_1260.jpeg
So, now I'm making out my shopping list of "necessities" for my new arrival. I've caught the disease, wish me luck.
You for sure need something to hold your prime. Here is one I made using parts from a purchased brass primer mixed with an old propane torch flame flare. You can also open the metering valve a tad to make it flow faster. (normal hardware store drill bit)
Welcome to flintlocks!
Flintlocklar

IMG_1260.jpeg

Latest posts

Back