• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OK....I did the idiot load....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did find that the fire channel in under the nipple of GM drop ins will take a LOT of powder. Just fill the hole and tap on the right side with the heel of the hand and all of the powder will disapper down the channel. I have repeated this process three times and still it all disappeared. :shocked2:
Not sure how much it will take but this is enough to propel a 230 gr 54 cal ball hard enough to almost penetrate a 30 gallon drum at 40 feet and pretty much flatten half the ball. This was done from a safe position for informational purposes only. :nono: (FWIW the ball dropped straight down. )

Waste not, want not. After you pull the ball and put your tip back on the ramrod you have now created a custom made round ball hollowpoint. Been there. Done that.

Done this many times also. I've always been successfull with the ball pullers and redneck engineering. I now carry a ball peen hammer and channel locks when I'm shooting BP. I grab the top of the ramrod with my channel locks and tap the ball out by hitting the side of the channel locks.

Had no clue about putting a little BP down the nipple. I'll try that next time!

I never pulled the "idiot load" as of yet but never say I wont in the future BUT I have been hunting once and was trying to jump a stream and me and the gun went in and it was in for a few minutes before I could get it out. the cap fell off and the powder became wet. I tried to fire it a few times as soon as I got it out, kept blowing out the nipple, even took the nipple out and put powder behind it to try to get the powder to light off so I could go ahead and discharge before I had any further problems. No luck. so what I did was take the nipple out and when I got home I sat the barrel in a bucket of water to fully soak the powder for safety and used an aircompressor set a 90psi and a rubber tip air gun and sealed it to the nipple hole threads and blew out the ball and powder. Never found the ball because it came out like I actually fired the gun. first thing you do when you buy a blackpowder loading kit, is take that stupid ball extractor and throw it in the trash.

"If better scores are what you thirst, MAKE sure the powder goes in first!!"

Welcome to the club!

my old muzzleloading group had a guy who managed to dryball not once, but twice in a row. Not only did he receive a custom made tshirt with
"Powder, Patch, Ball" printed upside down on the front, but was also nominated for the club's annual HUTA (Head up the A__) award.
In addition, from that day forward he was known as "Dryballs". :grin:

I can empathize with that guy. The first time I took my rifle out in public was at a
club match. When I dryballed they told me they "never saw that happen before". The second dryball was during the match. I quickly popped it out, hoping nobody noticed, and promptly dryballed again. :redface: On the positive side, I did learn something and I'm confident I can handle it if it ever happens again.

Welcome all to the Honorable Society of Dry-ballers. Admission is free , no matter how many times you join us. We have a coouple of truths we share:

1. Id you haven't dry-balled your MLer, you haven't shot it enough! :shocked2: ;

2. Its not IF you will dry-ball your gun- only WHEN you will. :grin:

THE ONLY OBLIGATIONS OF MEMBERSHIP IN THE SOCIETY IS TO ALWAYS HELP the next guy you see dry-ball his gun, welcome him to the society, and share a soft drink with him while you tell him how many times you have entered the society( If you can remember all of them!) :grin: :wink: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :haha:

Well, tried the ball puller, and I seem to have managed to bore a hole thru the ball, such that now when I try to pour some powder into the channel and fire a perc cap, no pressure can build up behind the ball. I get a puff of smoke out the end of the muzzle, with the "ball" still in the barrel.....

Unbelievable.

Use oil down the barrel to wet the now--dried patch, and the bore to reduce friction. Then use a ball puller with a larger wood-screw on the end of it to grab the ball. If you don't have a larger ball puller, then just continue to screw the one you have further into the ball. Don't Jerk it! PUll gently, as it will come out quick enough when the seal between the patch and the bore is broken.

[Please don't ask me how I came by all this knowledge. :doh: :shocked2: headslap:

Thank you for respecting my wishes. :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :wink: ]

I just played this game about 2 month ago, rem oil worked pretty good for soaking the patch. I had to have my brother come over and no joke with all our strength we played tug of war for 20 minutes before it broke loose, and when it did I smooth fell on my butt lol kids got a laugh though. Air works good and if you have a crappy or really tuff ram rod you can leave the ball puller in the ball to close the hole you bored in it then blow it out with air.

In the most extreme case after everything has failed, you can drop a few mls of mercury down and let it slowly turn the remains of the ball to slush.

Toxic but period correct.

I joined the club this past Sunday. Ball puller did the job with a LOT of pulling force.

Everything has in fact failed. Can you describe this mercury treatment in greater detail?

You need an air compressor with a rubber tipped blower. The type blower with the pointed rubber tip. The pressure in the tank needs to be 100psi plus.
Take some teflon thread tape and wrap the ball puller threads making them larger so it will seal. With the ramrod screw the ball puller back in. Leave the rr in the barrel.
With the rifle pointed in a safe direction remove the nipple. Seal the rubber tipped blower into the nipple hole with very firm pressure. Mash the button to blow the ball and rr out. You may have to repeat over and over. If no luck pour some kerosene or DF down the bore and try again. You may have to do this many many times.

I have never dryballed.........noooooo never. :cursing:
Here is a tip, remove the barrel from the stock.
Saturate with penetrating oil for at least a day.
Get a lag bolt of appropriate size, cut the head off.
Weld the threaded part to a full length threaded rod that you can purchase at most hardware stores.
Screw the assembled rod into the ball.
Put a washer on top of the threaded rod (protecting the barrel) then put a nut on the treaded rod. Tighten the nut, it will withdraw the ball easily.
Good luck
Fred

Perhaps I wasn't clear....there is a hole right thru the middle of the ball from a ball puller screw....such that when I trickle powder into the flash hole, a puff of smoke comes out the muzzle.

Ergo, compressed air will not work.

I have suffered your pain. I never had any luck with an air compressor,though others apparently have. I have attempted up to 200 psi on my flinters, with out any help. Maybe, if you can get a screw back into that ball to plug it and with the ramrod safely hooked away from, you can pull on that ball as well as have air pressure in pushing in the drum/nipple. I read you loud and clear about the ball having a hole already in it.The only thing I can suggest now is to plug that hole with a bigger screw and then try a discharge ball kit. Of course, you can also continue to try to pull it with a slow but firm steady pull on a well lubricated bore. You'll get it, it just takes some serious pondering to figure it out at items.

Perhaps I wasnt clear.
That's why I suggested you thread tape the Ball Puller to Seal the hole in the ball and then blow with Compressed Air the ball and ramrod out Together.

Back