• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

OK, help deciphering a pre-inlet kit please.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I found an unbuilt kit for sale and I'm trying to figure out what it is. The butt of the stock has HF, I16L, M3 written on it. As I said, it's pre-inlet for the barrel, which is included, and the lock which apparently has been misplaced. HF is likely fullstock Hawken, correct? And M3 is likely the grade of curly maple. Those things make sense, but I'm guessing the I16L has something to do with the barrel, breechplug or lock and I have no clue who may have sold the kit or what the digits stand for. I haven't gone to physically look at the parts yet, but will probably do so early next week if it's still available. I also don't know if the barrel/breech are pre-tapped for a flintlock or for percussion (photos were limited).

Thanks in advance if anyone can solve the mystery for me and make it a bit easier to decide if I want to purchase or not. Oh, I should also mention that it's a left-handed kit, so the L may stand for left-handed, I'm not sure.

Sounds like a Track of the Wolf kit. I have one that the butt is marked HF, I16, M3. It is a right hand stock and lock with 1" x 36" barrel. You got the HF and M3 figured right. The "16" appears to represent 16/16" or 1" barrel as the 15/16" barrel stock is coded a "15". The "L" on the stock you are looking at may designate that it is a left hand stock and lock. I think the "I" designates that the stock is pre-inlet for the L&R late English lock. At least that is what my kit has.

Stock, Hawken fullstock, left pre-inlet 1" octagon, 42" barrel, L&R late English lock, plain maple - Track of the Wolf

stk-hfi-l_1.jpg

Back