• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ok do you use index cards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
For pouring nose caps. I was worried about the heat. I'm looking at 5x8 index cards. By the time I tape over everything it should help handle the heat of my pewter. Oh yes and do you do a temp ck on pewter or do the old tooth pick method. Thanks

I've used the stock from the stuff they call "junk mail",, all ya need is something harder "thicker than printer paper",,
Heck, the walls from a 12 pack container works great! (a cereal box?)(noodles box?)
See my other post,, experiment,,

I have found that several wraps of masking tape are all you need, I sometimes need a little clearance to get the pewter to fill all the way to the bottom ( especially if my shop is cold) so I will wrap a layer of thin cardstock (backs of old notepads work) a little below where I want to fill and then wrap masking tape around that and go a little higher with it than I want the pewter to fill. Masking tape will discolor a little but doesn't burn.

File and sandpaper to get the pewter just right.

About the ninth or tenth time I cast a nosecap/pipe inlay/whatever using index card as a dam, it burnt through. I've been using old manila file folder stock ever since, with no problems. It is a little more flexible than posterboard or cereal box.

Well longwalker I messed this one up. Sal v aged it and put a preformed cap on. I messed one other one up bu no saving it.
I poured one where it was so crazy zig zagn looked like flames but it came out nice. I'm sure my big problem this time was pewter was to hot.

Back