• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Oils, varnish, and other stock finishes...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas.bill92

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hey there everyone, I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel with my walnut stocked SMR kit. I like the idea of a satin to semigloss finish for the walnut but don't really know the best way to achieve that and have a nice and durable finish that can hold up to heat, humidity, rain, cold and whatever other weather mother nature throws at me. I have a small jar of waterlox that I am experimenting with but think it may be a bit too glossy for my liking. I know there are a lot of opinions on oil finishes in general and I have heard that if I want durable, I need to look towards varnish, spar urethane, or even wipe on poly... My ears are open to recommendations!

My choice for a gun used for hunting……
After stain, 3 or4 coats of Chamber’s oil for a sealer, 2 coats of spar varnish, then 2 or more till a nice sheen is built to your liking!
Very durable, and water resistant. Semi gloss sheen.

Oil finishes bring out the color and grain and are easier to "retouch". They are not as durable as varnishes or lacquers. A lacquer will be easier to "retouch than a spar varnish or polyurathane finish.

My favorite finish on any walnut stock:

~ 1 or 2 coats of minwax red oak oil stain.

~ as many coats as desired of BLO + Japan Drier applied hot (stock warmed with hair dryer and the BLO heated until it just starts to smoke), sopped on with a natural bristle brush until it drips. Let hang/drip in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes then excess buffed off with cotton wash cloth.

~ I wait a day between coats leaving the stock hanging in a warm place.

~ after final coat of BLO cures, two coats of Axe Wax applied 24 hours apart.

Achieves an antique-esque glowing satin finish that holds up very well in the woods. Maintain with a coat of Axe Wax once a year.

Screenshot_20220724-130136_Gallery.jpg

Back