Quantcast

Oilcloth Tarp

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Boat

32 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Tentsmith 6.25 oz./yard oilcloth diamond/tarp shelter, thinking about getting a 10' X 10' for trekking.
Are they tough enough? Are the really as light as they advertise them to be?

Long monday

32 Cal
Reaction score
Love mine.
Heavier than a new fangled nylon backpacking tarp but way tougher (and cooler)

did winter camping trip/small game hunt with it at the end of last season. It was perfect for our smoke poll small game hunt. Used a long fire in front of it and stayed warm all night.

mattdanison

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Per Tentsmith's website:
People have come to us for the past few years requesting we make Oilskin Tarps for “Trekking”. Constructed of the same fabric as our Watchcoats, the oil/wax finished long staple cotton makes a wonderful tarp for a great early feel. The dark tan/brown fabric is 6.25 oz. per square yard. All tarps are finished with loops on all four sides and on the seam.

Tarps in the sizes of 7’×7′, 8’×8′, 9’×9′, & 10’x 9’ 4″ have one seam and are finished with a center loop. All the loops are heavy duty as they need to stand up to the constant tugging and pulling from the elements. We add the center extra heavy duty loop for those folks that might want to use the tarp similar to the diamond set up.

I've had a 7' x 7' for about 8-9 years now and use it for solo trekking. Mine did not come with a center loop and weighs 3 pounds 5 ounces (per the USPS weight scale at my local post office). I use it in a diamond set up (with the rope under the tarp). I have stayed perfectly dry in bad Florida thunderstorms and my equipment did too. I've been very happy with mine and it has held up well.

ADK Bigfoot

40 Cal
Reaction score
Get one. You will love it. I use mine for summer rendezvous with just a blanket beneath. I have survived summer thunderstorms and stayed dry.

ADK Bigfoot

Boat

32 Cal
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input, cant wait to get mine, looking forward to trekking in and out of rendezvous and some real trekking..

Long monday

32 Cal
Reaction score
The real trekking is the fun part.
we use mine as a two man shelter and do overnight small game hunts. If we don’t get something we done eat. (Well except lately I’ve been bringing some flour for ash cakes in the morning.)

Latest posts