• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oil for Bone Handles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Le Loup you inspired me to look deeper at neatsfoot oil which is something that I had never done even with the amount of leather work I have done over the years. Here is a quote from Wikipedia that everyone that considers neatsfoot oil should read and I can see why it would be good for bone.

"Neatsfoot oil is a yellow oil rendered and purified from the shin bones and feet (but not the hooves) of cattle. 'Prime neatsfoot oil' or 'neatsfoot oil compound' are terms used for a blend of pure neatsfoot oil and non-animal oils, generally mineral or other petroleum-based oils."

I have used neatsfoot oil on bone, antler and leather for as long as I can remember. I mainly have used two brands, Brownell's and Fiebings. I have used both regular and compound and can detect no difference in what they do to, or for, the item being treated. A quality object made from bone or antler will benefit from being treated with a soaking in neatsfoot oil occasionally. The 'soaking' can be a week to a month. "occasionally" can be one a year or once a decade. Just watch your item and be alert for shrinkage. FWIW, I see no difference if using baby/mineral oil.

Back