Oil finish on a stock.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
I actually have heard of this. For some reason it causes the Tru-oil to cure very quickly. If I recall, you can get 4 or 5 coats on in a day. I have never tried it but did come across it on the Net. Looked it up, Here is a link

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/woodstocks-amazin-stock-finish-photos.331108/

the article says that he can put 24 to 36 coats on a day!
I've used it and it works. It's some kind of reaction that makes it dry very quickly. I will say it doesn't work as well with thinned Tried&True oil but it does work.

Reaction score
Guys, I will preface this by saying this ole boy has been refinishing gun stocks for many moons. Not only for myself, but for many others as well. I usually put a high sheen finish on them because that's what most folks wants, but not always. However, I have a hankering to refinish another project ML but this one I want to do in an oil finish. The only things I'm seeing so far is boiled linseed oil and perhaps tongue oil to use. Therefore I am seeking information on this.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Lets hear it guys. And some pics of some of your oiled stocks would be nice as well.
I have used Daly's Seafin Teak Oil on three longrifles and two shotgun stocks. It is excellent since it is a marine product. SeaFin Teak Oil : DALY'S : Paint and Decorating / Wood Finishes

SPQR70AD

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes. I believe it was the 11th commandment: "Thou shalt use boiled linseed oil on all traditional gun stocks. Thou shalt violate this commandment only if thou wisheth to be inquisitioned." The name rang a bell, but I ended up having to Google. ;)
yes he was the head torturer during the inquisition. when that guy said what you had to do to a stock using BLO that is why I said that lol

Reaction score
I was giving my dogs their nightly Flax seed oil capsule , good for coats etc . When the penny dropped and I realised what I was giving them was very refined and additive free linseed oil . I have since started using the oil to carry out my weekly hand rub of my gunstocks . It works perfectly and gives a nice soft sheen . One capsule will do 2 long rifles .

Reaction score
I was giving my dogs their nightly Flax seed oil capsule , good for coats etc . When the penny dropped and I realised what I was giving them was very refined and additive free linseed oil . I have since started using the oil to carry out my weekly hand rub of my gunstocks . It works perfectly and gives a nice soft sheen . One capsule will do 2 long rifles .
Your Flax seed oil is the same as refined linseed oil used by artist as it is additive free and is not sticky like raw linsed. No wonder you are having good results. Stay with it, but add about 20% Terabine(Drying Agent) for the last 2 or 3 coats. O.D.

Reaction score
Your Flax seed oil is the same as refined linseed oil used by artist as it is additive free and is not sticky like raw linsed. No wonder you are having good results. Stay with it, but add about 20% Terabine(Drying Agent) for the last 2 or 3 coats. O.D.
My stocks have finished being oiled years ago .I just get one out of my safe and give it a rub down with a finger tip of linseed oil while sitting watching TV and burnish the wood with the palm of my hand , this continues to build a great finish with a soft glow and makes it reasonably water resistant . I googled Terabine and got a lot of stuff about toenail fungus , which wasn't what I was looking for but may come in use someday . 😃

If it is the same as Artist grade linseed oil it will be easier to find in bottled form in either the pharmacy or supermarket , than an artists supply store which are few and far between