• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oil based stain or water based ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Working on a Traditions Kentucky rifle kit. I believe the stock to be made of beech wood. I'm told with beech that water based is the way to go, but I did a Deerhunter beech stock a few years ago and it turned out great with Minwax oil based stain. I used a mixture of walnut and red mahogany and got a nice even reddish brown, med. dark color that really "popped" after a few coats of Tru-Oil. So why Water based and why not oil based ? -Thanks

I used the water base stain on this Kentucky then Tru-Oil.

Attachments

• tempImageRFbyTK.png
    tempImageRFbyTK.png
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 76
  • tempImage7BrVsv.png
    tempImage7BrVsv.png
    1 MB · Views: 74
Water and Spirit based stains put the stain in the wood, oil based stains sit on the surface like a translucent paint.

Water based. Be sure to prepare the wood (pre-raise and sand , a few times).
Alcohol based is good but dries very fast and can leave witness marks, particularly on big projects like a long rifle stock.
Oil doesn’t adsorbe into wood as well as water or alcohol.

Working on a Traditions Kentucky rifle kit. I believe the stock to be made of beech wood. I'm told with beech that water based is the way to go, but I did a Deerhunter beech stock a few years ago and it turned out great with Minwax oil based stain. I used a mixture of walnut and red mahogany and got a nice even reddish brown, med. dark color that really "popped" after a few coats of Tru-Oil. So why Water based and why not oil based ? -Thanks
Some of the Alcohol based stains work great. Check 'em out.

Can someone please chime in as to the chemistry involved here for the various stain carriers; water, alcohol, oil?

I have my own theories, but they are based on supposition rather than scientific fact.

Can someone please chime in as to the chemistry involved here for the various stain carriers; water, alcohol, oil?

I have my own theories, but they are based on supposition rather than scientific fact.

Here is a pretty good link to the differences. Stain or Dye
After reading the above I wonder about acid based "stains", which when heat is applied, actually alter the wood reacting with the mineral content that shows to the human eye as "wood grain". So the acid is different than my using dye for leather. I've not noticed that the sunlight has faded any gunstocks that I used dye upon..., maybe because it's a leather dye that the company added something to keep it light resistant.

LD

Oil based stains are a one shot deal. Once applied you are limited on what more can be done. Water does not penetrate oil. Paint store stains are mostly not suitable for gunstocks. Oil based paint store stain is ground up pigment in an oil carrier. They tend to look muddy on the wood.

On maple always start with ferric nitrate solution (aqua fortis). There is no need to make it from iron and nitric acid, buy ferric nitrate crystals or premade solution.

Dye stains are used to adjust the color after the AF. Dye stains work on any wood. It is a good idea to dilute them at first and sneak up on the desired color.

Once you apply finish any new coats of stain will not work as well. You can put some dye in the finish to give an overall background color. IT will look flatter and more uniform than letting stain soak into the wood.

Jim Kibler has stain tutorials on Utube.

I use the water based stains from Jim Klein and the first applied is an orange toner which yields a yellow undertone. The toner is followed w/ either the reddish brown or the dark brown or both......Fred
BucksCo3TOW (3).jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pretty good link to the differences. Stain or Dye
After reading the above I wonder about acid based "stains", which when heat is applied, actually alter the wood reacting with the mineral content that shows to the human eye as "wood grain". So the acid is different than my using dye for leather. I've not noticed that the sunlight has faded any gunstocks that I used dye upon..., maybe because it's a leather dye that the company added something to keep it light resistant.

My experience, with Fiebring dye, is that it makes a fine color which then changes (to not so fine) with time.
I suggest you use Laurel Mountain, it was developed by an actual SHOOTER. He now flies aeroplanes that he has built himself. Firt met him several decades ago, when he lived here in SE Michigan.

LD

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiebings also makes a low V.O.C. based stain that works well on leather it may be a good choice for a stock. V.O.C. --- volatile organic compounds --- No alcohol base, in case some did not know.

The post is specific to the Beech wood used by the Traditions-CVA guns. It can be very finnicky about absorbing stains. I have found that the Feibings leather stain works the best for these stocks. Thanks to advice I got off this forum over 5 years ago.

Back