• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Offset cock and frizzen issue?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Traditions flinter still shoots better than me and gets positive comments for its ignition time. After cleaning yesterday I noticed gouges in the pan near the touch hole. The flint usually seemed a bit difficult to line up well with the frizzen but I didn't look at it closely until last night. Here's an image compared to a modern Durs Egg lock on the right.

This causes difficult lining up the flint and getting good jaw contact. Flints wear on the outer edge and it looks line now the untouched part of the flint is gouging the pan.

Is this something I should talk to Traditions about? Is it actually a serious problem or just an annoyance?

Not sure how alignment problems could cause gouges in the pan. I could see a flint mounted inboard hitting the barrel. I never take it for granted that centering the flint in the jaws is correct for any gun. It is not necessary that flints be centered and sometimes causes problems. Alignment with the frizzen and not hitting the barrel is what determines flint position.

My guess is that the lock plate is inletted to deep at the front or warped taking the cock out of parallel alignment with the frizzen.

I have built flintlock rifles for the last 40 years. I have never had a lock that the flint could be out in the jaws centered and have it align with the frizzen. I have always had to set it off to the right a bit. I used only top of the line locks, Haddaway,L&R and Chambers.

Jim

It's no biggie. Just align the flint to the frizzen face. If the flint is gouging the pan...it's too long. You may have to notch the jaw pad to shorten the flint / pad assembly. You may need thinner pad leather as well. Of course, smaller or notched flints are a consideration as well These are little locks with a little jaw so there"s not much room there.

Just line it up as best you can. These are really cheap simple locks so expect some imperfection. The one I have has always been reliable.

The trouble appears to be that the pivot axis of the frizzen and cock are not parallel to each other which is why adjusting the flint will never help.

Talking to the Traditions folks now, and sending them some pictures. Will see what happens. Their gunsmith said it was the wrong part, but I haven't heard if they are going to do anything about it.

Back