• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

official gun of Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Griz, they call these "microaggressions."
Kids playing "Cops and Robbers" or "Cowboys and Indians" will get those poor misguided kids sent to Social re-education sessions nowadays.
Our world has devolved into chaos. I feel sorry for my kids and grandkids - they have a world of hurt and hate to try and live in.
When my daughter (now 38) complains I just politely blame her and her left oriented college professors who oriented her at UT Austin.
I think she may now be seeing the light, but too late.
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/4-ut-professors-make-conservative-groups-watchlist/358881593

Never too late Grizz, if one suffers enough eventually the light comes on, at 38 she still has time too realize that the smoke was blown up her wazoo.

Somebody needs to get their facts straight:
"Invented by Captain Samuel Walker of the Texas Rangers and Colt Walker, a firearms designer ..." Huh?
Not much in to Colt history. But I understand that Colt was out of business but his Patterson was popular with the Rangers. Walker met with Colt and they redesigned this pocket cannon

I think the Colt Paterson should share that title with or the 1847 Walker Colt revolver. The Paterson revolver was a financial failure for Colt. The US government was not interested in the Paterson, but the Texas republic did purchase some of the new guns from Colt to issue to their armed forces. Jack C. Hays acquired some of the Paterson revolvers from old Naval stores to arm his Ranger unit of which Samuel Walker was a member. The Texas Rangers put the new guns to good use on the Texas frontier against the Comanche. So Walker knew the value and power of a revolver in the hands of a mounted trooper. His collaboration with Samuel Colt to design the 1847 Walker Colt was the 2nd time that Texas would be connected to Samuel Colt and his firearms. The 1847 Walker revolver would bring Colt out bankruptcy and back into the gun business. Cool history, cool guns.

Florida would be the Canon. The Spanish Canon or
the Shotgun. There are dozens of old canons all over
Florida.
I won't argue with that! While Spain produced excellent musket barrels, the Spanish colonists were typically very poorly provided with small arms. Their artillery, on the other hand, was formidable. I attended the "Cannon School" at the Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine a few years ago, and participated in multiple cannon firings. The drill was based on and adapted from the procedure used by the Spanish military in the mid-18th century in defending Florida's coast. We trainees were given to understand that any shipload of invaders detected within a mile of the coast could expect to sustain major damage back in those days. The Florida National Guard, headquartered in St. Augustine, recognizes our state's Spanish heritage with an outline of the old castillo on their shoulder sleeve insignia:

Florida Nat'l Guard Patch.jpeg

I would be fine with nominating the Spanish "garrison gun" as Florida's official state gun:

Spanish Cannon 1.2.jpg

Notchy Bob

I would be fine with nominating the Spanish "garrison gun" as Florida's official state gun:

View attachment 81661

Notchy Bob
If I were the captain of a wooden hulled vessel and saw this pointed at me at ANY distance - I would be turning around. Don't want any part of that thing beyond the muzzle...

Back