• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

official gun of Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool! A state gun! Thanks for posting!

All political comments aside, this could be an interesting topic for discussion.... What blackpowder firearms would best represent each state? Obviously, a Tennessee rifle for Tennessee, and a Hawken rifle would be a perfect state gun for Missouri. The US M1841 rifle was put in the hands of the Mississippi volunteers by Congressman Jefferson Davis for service in the Mexican War, and was known thereafter as the Mississippi Rifle, so it would be a natural as the state gun of Mississippi. A Colt Paterson revolver for New Jersey, a Lancaster longrifle for Pennsylvania, and a Vincent halfstock for Ohio. Possibly a Fayetteville musket or a Gillespie longrifle for North Carolina, and a Palmetto Armory musket for South Carolina. As @Dashing Leper suggested in Post#5, an 1849 Colt Pocket model, which was very popular with the 49'ers, probably would be a good choice for California. My home state of Florida might be a little problematic... maybe a Spanish matchlock musket?

How about it, folks?

Notchy Bob

Arkansas (at least the Ozarks part) would have to be a shotgun as most were too poor to own an expensive rifle and a shotgun did many things. In the rest of Arkansas it would also be the shotgun do to all the duck hunting and bird hunting they do.

Also if it went for the shotgun and mad daddy's there would be very few weddings.

We got the knife thing at least.

Got anything better let me know.

Last edited:
Texas is a big state, I think we should have three, the Walker, the Paterson, and the Mississippi.
These are posing for a group photo in the back yard.

87282C30-ABE0-40A8-B2F7-2034857C4190.jpeg

Back