• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Officers Fusil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eat moose meat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, In a gunshop the other day i found what i am almost sure is an original british officers fusil. The only thing is that it was converted to percussion. It was the only muzzleloader in the store. Get this it is in shooting condition. Its probably 16ga,Bayonet lug,british proofs, palm swell on forearm. it even has the steel rammer. He wants 1000.00 for it is this a good deal. help and info would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Sounds like fun ::

Blackmore lists all the English flint patterns from 1740 in his book British Miliitary Firearms 1650-1850 the best clue is the bore .62 or .65 and the barrel length.

I could send you a pic of the page if you want?

That would be greatly appreciated. By the way hello from across the pond. I would love to know how this fine British firearm found its way here.

The gun is still in shooting condition?

Well, you know those officers, too busy shouting out orders to fire their weapon... :haha:

I too have a converted flintlock, it was made into a percussion (musket caps) and used during the Civil War.

If it's now a percussion, chances are it's rifled as well, mine was rifled out to about an inch below the barrel's muzzle...

Two or three wide shallow grooves with a slow 1:90+ twist seems to be what I noticed on rifled smoothbores...

How's the wood on this musket, any signs of rotting?

That would be greatly appreciated. By the way hello from across the pond. I would love to know how this fine British firearm found its way here.

I sent you a private mail, maybe, did it work? ::

How did it get here? Surplus bought by a Yankee trader? Perhaps.

Likely it could have been a British veteran who settled in America after the French-Indian War or it was captured during the Revolution or War of 1812. BTW, it can be restored to flintlock and there are gunbuilders who will do it. If it's in good shape like you described, buy it and restore it.

"When we are commanded to storm the palisades,
our leaders march with fusils
and we with hand grenades."

- The British Grenadiers.

Kit_1.jpg

Look like that? The Light Infantry/Grenadiers were very active in New England during the F&I and Revolutionary Wars. The piece you describe fits a Light Infantry Fusil (the above image is Kit Ravenshear holding mine). A 42" barrel was Infantry, 36 to 37" was issued to the artillery.

If it was 'issue" it would likely have a unit # on the thumbplate at the top of the wrist. If it was truly a officer's private purchase - anything goes. The British didn't issue officer's shoulder arms because they were supposed to be leading - not fighting. A lot of them brought along fowling pieces as, quite often, the barbaric Americans would ambush coulmns as they passed between proper battle fields.

Latest posts

Back